MikauOfDarkness

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014
Hi, after I got a windows 10 update my computer has failed to work. I wiped my SSD and now my GPU doesn't get detected. When everything is plugged in (and the HDMI/display port is plugged into the Mobo), my computer works just fine. The only thing is that the graphics card is not being detected by the device manager or my BIOS. I tested my GPU in another computer (worked as intended) and a different GPU in my computer (not detected). I tried all of my PCI-E slots and all of them get the same no detection. I tried a different power supply to power the GPU and it still did not get detected. I tried removing the Mobo's battery and restoring the bios to factory default and still nothing. Everything has been reseated multiple times over, I tested different PSU cables (to the GPU).

On boot when the video cables are plugged into the GPU it either ignores that the GPU exists and boots with onboard graphics (black screen due to no signal detected) or the screen stays off (and I can swap the HDMI/DP from GPU to Mobo with no effect). During the second event when I hit the power button the computer instantly turns off (as opposed to holding the power button normally).

Does anyone have any tips or tricks that could help fix this issue? I'm willing to try anything to have this fixed soon.

GPU: MSI GTX 1080Ti
CPU: intel i7-6700K
PSU: Seasonic 650 W Gold
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB
Mobo: MSI 270 XPower Gaming Titanium

Solution
Update: When the GPU gets detected, it goes into the BIOS because the SSD in the M.2 slot doesn't get detected. If the GPU is not detected then the SSD will be detected.

Update x2: I figured out that I have to move the SSD to a different M.2 slot and I put the GPU in the last PCI-E slot and sometimes (maybe at an angle?) it works. I'm not sure why it specifically worked this time, but it did. I'm kind of worried to try moving it and seeing if it's only one slot that works...

MikauOfDarkness

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014
I put the GPU in the last PCI-E slot and it booted to BIOS (and kept on infinitely rebooting to bios upon exit). I tried to see if it would work on the other slots but now it doesn't work on any slots again... If it hits BIOS again does anyone have any recommendations to get it to boot normally? I sent in a support ticket for the Motherboard

MikauOfDarkness

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014
Update: When the GPU gets detected, it goes into the BIOS because the SSD in the M.2 slot doesn't get detected. If the GPU is not detected then the SSD will be detected.

Update x2: I figured out that I have to move the SSD to a different M.2 slot and I put the GPU in the last PCI-E slot and sometimes (maybe at an angle?) it works. I'm not sure why it specifically worked this time, but it did. I'm kind of worried to try moving it and seeing if it's only one slot that works...

Last edited:
Solution

MikauOfDarkness

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014
I'm not sure what happened, but after I held it in place and booted it on a different slot, it boots normally now. I have no idea what fixed it or what the problem was, I'm worried the problem will come back, but it works perfectly fine as of right now. Weird...