Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Hello. For a few weeks now, i've had this same problem with my laptop where i'm constantly getting low fps on low settings on non-demanding games such as fortnite and cs:go, while on demanding games games like rdr2 I get a good amount of frames on almost max settings. In fortnite lobby, I get high GPU usage but when in game it just drops to around 30% and rarely even goes up to 70.

Laptop: Medion erazer P15805
Specs:

gtx 1660 ti
8gb ram
core i5 9300h
1tb hdd
256gb ssd

For over 2 tiring and annoying weeks i've tried lots to fix it like changing settings in geforce panel, changing power options, installing latest nvidia game driver and more. The cause of this problem, which I recently found out should be low gpu usage.

I don't know why this is happening, as it is a new laptop. I dont think it can be CPU throttling because I have an intel 9300H which goes well with the 1660 ti. After doing lots of research I found out that some laptops are meant to be kept to a specific nvidia driver version, which may be the cause of the low fps but I cant seem to find what version my laptop came with and I dont want to have to resort to the last option which would be to fully reset my laptop to fix this problem, and this may not even fix it at all.

RDR2 GPU usage test
Fortnite GPU usage test

As seen in both images, I am achieving around the same, sometimes even better fps in red dead redemption 2, a much more demanding games at medium-ultra settings, while in fortnite I am hitting 44 fps on low settings. You can also seen that GPU utilization in fortnite is only a very low 26% and in rdr2 it is 96%. This also applies for other games like cs:go where I get around 100 since it is less demanding, but for my pc specs I should be getting 300.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Solution
But shouldnt this be working as the video is a ir5 9300H cpu which is same as mine? And ive already reinstalled drivers 3 times
Your cpu is the same but every chip is different. Just because the cpu model is the same doesnt mean that they have the same undervolting value. I see about the drivers. Now open throttlestop in the background and run some games like usual. When you feel like the low fps thing is happening again, dont quit the game but alt tab to desktop and click limits on throttlestop. Take a screenshot. Any thermal or power limit will show up there if there is. Make sure to turn on throttlestop beforehand.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Pretty normal, around 60
Hmm, usually i'll say that your cpu is throttling but from both screenshots they're at 4000mhz. Okay how about trying this out, undervolt your cpu using throttlestop. You might be facing power limit throttling.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jZFasPjS6k

You can follow this guide here. It may be worth a try and it never hurts to undervolt anyway.

wi5pa

Distinguished
May 20, 2012
I think g-sync is taking over and preventing screen tearing ?
Your laptop will only give you 60fps max on the 1920x1080p 60hz screen

You need to up change your settings on fortnite to make your GPU work harder

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
I think g-sync is taking over and preventing screen tearing ?
Your laptop will only give you 60fps max on the 1920x1080p 60hz screen

You need to up change your settings on fortnite to make your GPU work harder
Hello. This cannot be the problem as I have hit over 60 fps, I've even gone up to 100, depending on where I am in the map, It's just that my average is 50. In creative, where it is less demanding I get an average of 70, which is still really bad but above 60. I've tried all settings and it is the exact same result.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Hmm, usually i'll say that your cpu is throttling but from both screenshots they're at 4000mhz. Okay how about trying this out, undervolt your cpu using throttlestop. You might be facing power limit throttling.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jZFasPjS6k

You can follow this guide here. It may be worth a try and it never hurts to undervolt anyway.
I just tried this twice and it just makes y laptop crash every time

poorbugger

Distinguished
I just tried this twice and it just makes y laptop crash every time
Reduce your undervolt. What you see in the video isnt the exact value that you'll get. Every cpu is different. If you dont want to be bothered by it, no problem but undervolting is beneficial to laptops. Also, try this. Use ddu and uninstall your current drivers. Try downloading the latest drivers and install it.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Don't do any undervolting, your CPU and GPU combo is great and it is a laptop so there shouldn't be any bottleneck. Anyways, this could be caused by 2 things: First maybe the power plan is somehow set to power saver when you play Fortnite, also it could be running on the integrated GPU so you may have to check that from the Nvidia panel, else you may need to clean uninstall the GPU driver using DDU and then install the latest one, this will mostly solve your issue.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Don't do any undervolting, your CPU and GPU combo is great and it is a laptop so there shouldn't be any bottleneck. Anyways, this could be caused by 2 things: First maybe the power plan is somehow set to power saver when you play Fortnite, also it could be running on the integrated GPU so you may have to check that from the Nvidia panel, else you may need to clean uninstall the GPU driver using DDU and then install the latest one, this will mostly solve your issue.
Just tried this for the third time, did not work.

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Reduce your undervolt. What you see in the video isnt the exact value that you'll get. Every cpu is different. If you dont want to be bothered by it, no problem but undervolting is beneficial to laptops. Also, try this. Use ddu and uninstall your current drivers. Try downloading the latest drivers and install it.
But shouldnt this be working as the video is a ir5 9300H cpu which is same as mine? And ive already reinstalled drivers 3 times

Vends

Reputable
Aug 25, 2020
Hello. For a few weeks now, i've had this same problem with my new gaming laptop where i'm constantly getting low fps on low settings on non-demanding games such as fortnite and cs:go, while on demanding games games like rdr2 I get a good amount of frames on almost max settings. In fortnite lobby, I get high GPU usage but when in game it just drops to around 30% and rarely even goes up to 70.

Laptop: Medion erazer P15805
Specs:

gtx 1660 ti
8gb ram
core i5 9300h
1tb hdd
256gb ssd

For over 2 tiring and annoying weeks i've tried lots to fix it like changing settings in geforce panel, changing power options, installing latest nvidia game driver and more. The cause of this problem, which I recently found out should be low gpu usage.

I don't know why this is happening, as it is a new laptop. I dont think it can be CPU throttling because I have an intel 9300H which goes well with the 1660 ti. After doing lots of research I found out that some laptops are meant to be kept to a specific nvidia driver version, which may be the cause of the low fps but I cant seem to find what version my laptop came with and I dont want to have to resort to the last option which would be to fully reset my laptop to fix this problem, and this may not even fix it at all, But may this be the best option?

RDR2 gpu usage test
Fortnite gpu usage test

As seen in both images, I am achieving around the same, sometimes even better fps in red dead redemption 2, a much more demanding games at medium-ultra settings, while in fortnite I am hitting 44 fps on low settings. You can also seen that GPU utilization in fortnite is only a very low 26% and in rdr2 it is 96%. This also applies for other games like cs:go where I get around 100 since it is less demanding, but for my pc specs I should be getting 300.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Your cpu is the same but every chip is different. Just because the cpu model is the same doesnt mean that they have the same undervolting value. I see about the drivers. Now open throttlestop in the background and run some games like usual. When you feel like the low fps thing is happening again, dont quit the game but alt tab to desktop and click limits on throttlestop. Take a screenshot. Any thermal or power limit will show up there if there is. Make sure to turn on throttlestop beforehand.

Solution