Question GPU not detected in primary PCIe slot ?

Apr 15, 2024
Let me start this off by saying that I'm very new to pc building. This is only the second pc I've built and I appreciate any knowledge and insight provided.

I just got a brand new RTX 4060 Ti to complete my build. I installed it into the primary PCIE slot and it wasn't detected. I reseated it , making sure to hear that obvious click. Before screwing the bracket back in and trying it. I've done this like 4 time so far and have had no luck. I have integrated graphics so I looked around and found that it shows up if I enable hidden devices in device manager. Other than that it's not recognized by Hardware info , Task manager , ect.

I tried removing and reseating it into the lower PCIE slot and it was detected by both my display and the system. Was incredibly slow and lacking information in hardware info. After updating the drivers it sped up considerably. I ran a few benchmarks and it obviously runs slightly worse than it should. Now having updated the drivers I tried using the primary slot again but it still wont detect it.

Here's the parts list if it helps:

MOBO: MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WiFi Gaming
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V5 White CPU Air Cooler
GPU: Maxsun GeForce RTX 4060 Ti
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB)
SSD 1: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB
SSD 2: CT1000MX500SSD1
PSU: Corsair RM1000e
Case: NZXT H7 Elite

Again , any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been spending the past 3 hours troubleshooting and mentally dying.

The only thing I'd suggest doing is making sure none of the PCIe leads are showing when the card is properly installed in the first slot. This is just to make sure the case isn't moving the card in the slot.

If everything looks good here then you're down to the CPU or motherboard being the problem. Unfortunately at this point the only way to troubleshoot is with testing other hardware which I'm guessing you do not have.

It would be worthwhile just checking the socket to make sure there aren't bent pins and the CPU for any pad damage. Assuming all is good here too if you don't have any way to try a different CPU/motherboard then it's RMA time (or replacement from retailer). I'd lean more towards the motherboard being the issue if you wanted a suggestion for which to have swapped first.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? You should use DDU, remove all GPU drivers, then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, here, in an elevated command, ie, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please make sure you've properly connected the power from the PSU to the GPU and that all connectors are fully seated.

Apr 15, 2024
The only thing I'd suggest doing is making sure none of the PCIe leads are showing when the card is properly installed in the first slot. This is just to make sure the case isn't moving the card in the slot.

If everything looks good here then you're down to the CPU or motherboard being the problem. Unfortunately at this point the only way to troubleshoot is with testing other hardware which I'm guessing you do not have.
Just to be sure , the PCIE leads are those pieces on the gpu that go into the slot ,right ? I went ahead and put a different gpu into the primary slot and it was recognized. I also put the 4060ti into a different computer and it was recognized as well. I'm pretty sure the cpu nor motherboard have any bent pins as the computer boots and the cpu runs great. But I'll double check in a minute just to be sure.

Reactions: 35below0
Apr 15, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time? You should use DDU, remove all GPU drivers, then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from Nvidia's support site, here, in an elevated command, ie, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Please make sure you've properly connected the power from the PSU to the GPU and that all connectors are fully seated.
Hello ! I am on version 7D75v1E , the latest version to my knowledge. I checked the connectors and they all look good. I've never used DDU before but I'll give it a shot.

EDIT. Apologies, I'm a moron and thought you were talking about MOBO Bios version. For the GPU the bios version is 95.06.26.00.4F

Last edited:
I went ahead and put a different gpu into the primary slot and it was recognized.
The 4060 Ti only uses 8 lanes so depending on what other card you put in there that test may not mean anything. Check the working card in GPU-Z to make sure it's showing the proper lane count and PCIe revision.
Just to be sure , the PCIE leads are those pieces on the gpu that go into the slot ,right ?
yes

Apr 15, 2024
The 4060 Ti only uses 8 lanes so depending on what other card you put in there that test may not mean anything. Check the working card in GPU-Z to make sure it's showing the proper lane count and PCIe revision.
I'm not seeing any of the PCIE leads showing.

I ran it though GPU Z and for Bus Interface it says "PCIe x8 4.0 @ x8 1.1"

Also , not sure if it's important or not but it shows up as "NVIDIA (AD106) []" in Hardware info .

I'm not seeing any of the PCIE leads showing.

I ran it though GPU Z and for Bus Interface it says "PCIe x8 4.0 @ x8 1.1"

Also , not sure if it's important or not but it shows up as "NVIDIA (AD106) []" in Hardware info .
Well no leads showing means it's not the case causing any issues. It's detecting 8 lanes which is what it's supposed to and the 1.1 is what nvidia cards do at idle to reduce power consumption.

The whole page should mostly look like this: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-founders-edition/41.html

I'm not sure what you mean by "hardware info" (unless you're talking HWInfo in which case it should generally have multiple lines of info depending on which screen you're looking at) but that is the name of the chip used in the 4060 Ti.

Is this how it's showing up when installed in the primary slot and using the integrated graphics to boot?

Apr 15, 2024
I'm not sure what you mean by "hardware info" (unless you're talking HWInfo in which case it should generally have multiple lines of info depending on which screen you're looking at) but that is the name of the chip used in the 4060 Ti.

Is this how it's showing up when installed in the primary slot and using the integrated graphics to boot?
When it was placed into a different computer it booted up and was just detected as a "NVIDIA (AD106) []" No other lines besides that and some data on the gpu itself. Although after using DDU to uninstall any drivers and then reinstalling the most current drivers it now appears as normal. Then after removing all of the pci slot covers in the back and then seating it , it's actually finally being detected. However when I put all but two back in (The amount needed for the card) it isn't detected again. Is it a clearance issue ? Or is something shorting ? Sorry if the answer is super obvious, I am big dumb and mentally exhausted.

Then after removing all of the pci slot covers in the back and then seating it , it's actually finally being detected. However when I put all but two back in (The amount needed for the card) it isn't detected again. Is it a clearance issue ? Or is something shorting ? Sorry if the answer is super obvious, I am big dumb and mentally exhausted.
That sounds to me like something shorting, but there really shouldn't be anything there which would cause that. Maybe one of the covers (either above or below) is pushing the card, but typically once it's in the slot it's good unless it's pushed out which it doesn't sound like is happening. Try pulling the covers one at a time and hopefully you can identify the problematic one there.
When it was placed into a different computer it booted up and was just detected as a "NVIDIA (AD106) []" No other lines besides that and some data on the gpu itself. Although after using DDU to uninstall any drivers and then reinstalling the most current drivers it now appears as normal.
Got it, makes sense.

Apr 15, 2024
That sounds to me like something shorting, but there really shouldn't be anything there which would cause that. Maybe one of the covers (either above or below) is pushing the card, but typically once it's in the slot it's good unless it's pushed out which it doesn't sound like is happening. Try pulling the covers one at a time and hopefully you can identify the problematic one there.
After trying each individual slot bracket I finally , FINALLY found it. It seems the 4th slot down was pressing up against the graphics card in some way. Somehow that little bit of force was essentially just barely pushing the card which was enough to not allow it to properly stay seated. Once I just loosened the screw by like half a turn it booted , gpu was detected and performs great. Thank you. I genuinely thought that PCIE slot was just dead. So glad it turned out to be something stupid but simple.

Reactions: thestryker