[SOLVED] GPU not detected in top PCIe slot?

Mar 16, 2022
Ryzen 5 5600x
XFX AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB GDDR6 Thicc III Ultra
ASUS B550-A Gaming
Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb 3200MHz
970 Evo Plus 1tb X2
Corsair PSU 650watts

Hi, I got a new mobo, ssd (m.2), and CPU upgrades and am having some issues. I'm using old but definitely serviceable parts from my first build. Everything worked fine on first boot, installed latest BIOS, reinstalled windows and a few games. I was using the PC for about 3 hours, mostly installing updates and moving old files before turning in for the night. Then the PC wouldn't post the next day.

I've tried so many things, not sure where to start, but I've determined that the top PCIe slot of the motherboard is not detecting my GPU. I have been trouble shooting everything outside of the case, I gutted the PC to ensure something in the case wasn't causing an issue. I trimmed it all down to just CPU, GPU and ram. I also put everything back together on my old mobo and CPU (Ryzen 5 1600 & Asus strix b350-f) to see if I damaged anything but it looks like all of the components that I am using for the new build are working properly.

The GPU currently only works in the second PCIe slot and the PC will not POST when the GPU is in the first slot. The board QLEDs cycle between the DRAM, CPU, and VGA in that order over and over and there is no display. I have also reset the CMOS and reinstalled the latest BIOS, just in case, using the BIOS flashback function. I cleaned the slot and the GPU as well.

Could it be that this board has an additional 4 pin power connector at the top? I didn't think this would be an issue since I have been reading that it is not required. My PSU does not come with an additional connector for those extra pins.

I'm just at a loss, especially since everything was working perfectly on the very first boot. Did the board suddenly decide to go bad???

Any info would be helpful, and I hope this post isn't too long, it's my first one on here and I'm trying to be as thorough as possible. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Solution
So far this has worked. I've been able to boot repeatedly into Windows 10 with no issues, no delays. I hope this is a permanent fix, and like the quote states, I'm not sure how much, if any, differences in performance this makes.
The default setting is always Auto, and it is different form any other setting in that BIOS needs to determine at boot what gen it needs to be set. I suppose it is that part of the process that is not working. Because of that you can actually try changing that setting to Gen 4 (instead of Gen 3) and see if that works.
As for performance difference I believe it should not be noticeable.
What is the EXACT model of your 650w Corsair power supply and how long has it been in service?

Have you tried removing each stick of memory and leaving just one stick in the A2 slot, and then try the other stick in that slot?

Actually sounds very much like a board problem, but it's not the only possibility.

Reactions: Cell-
Mar 16, 2022
Hello, thank you for replying. The PSU is a Corsair CX650M and it's been in service for about 4 years, I would say fairly heavily.

Yes, I have tried what you suggested with both ram sticks, one at a time, individually in the A2 slot.

I also used some older ballistix 4gb sticks in A2 & B2, ans well as individually and have gotten the same result.

Mar 16, 2022
I cross posted this to Reddit and was able to get a solution.

When I asked someone who had the same issue as me I asked if they fixed it and U/Tangynt wrote me:

I did, actually! When I got into the BIOS I manually switched the first PCIe slot to use Gen 3.0 only. It was probably automatically detecting a 4.0 device, but there might be a compatibility issue.
It’s probably not ideal, but I have had no issues in performance so far. My setup isn’t nearly powerful enough to need Gen 4 anyways.
Hope this helps!

So far this has worked. I've been able to boot repeatedly into Windows 10 with no issues, no delays. I hope this is a permanent fix, and like the quote states, I'm not sure how much, if any, differences in performance this makes.

The default setting is always Auto, and it is different form any other setting in that BIOS needs to determine at boot what gen it needs to be set. I suppose it is that part of the process that is not working. Because of that you can actually try changing that setting to Gen 4 (instead of Gen 3) and see if that works.
As for performance difference I believe it should not be noticeable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cell-
Solution
Mar 16, 2022
I switched the port settings to gen 4 and it did the same thing, so I switched it back to gen 3 and have had no problems.

Would be interesting to try it with a newer GPU to see what happens, but I only have the 5600xt.

Reactions: DRagor