GPU not fully utilized? Call Of Duty Black Ops 4

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
i7 8700k, GTX 1080ti, 16gb RAM

This is the only game that almost seems to not realize I have a GPU. I've searched all over to see if others are having this problem and haven't really found anything.

This game has heavy CPU load for me, and very low GPU load. My CPU usage can get as high as 85% if I turn all the settings to the max, yet the GPU maybe gets to as high as 50% (I assume this is the game using it, it isn't reflected in the GPU usage in the task manager but in the Window Desktop Manager which I have the game in Windowed FullScreen so I assume this is appropriate)

I've tried setting pre-rendered frames to 1 in the Nvidia control panel as instructed by an online article. The article also suggested changing some config files but I don't want to run the risk of being banned for editing files (possibly looked at as cheating.)

I've put it in fullscreen mode, I've tried Vsync and all sorts of things. The in-game settings show that it's recognizing my GPU as the display adapter, yet it doesn't utilize it, it just seems to be bound to my CPU.

This doesn't happen in other games (Destiny 2, Diablo 3, Fortnite, etc.)

Anyone have any insight?

For reference I ran Cinebench:

CPU - 1358

Single Core CPU - 186

OpenGL - 125.51 fps

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

Could you please post your average frame rate?

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018

Typically I cap it at 60fps to lessen the load because I stream the game to twitch. I've tested all these different things while streaming and when not streaming. Only difference is if I stream there are periods where my CPU is maxed out. OBS typically only uses a max of about 35% CPU usage. If I uncap the framerate it fluctuates 70-120fps depending on the situation.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

Hm. 120-70 is quite a large margin. There is definitely something wrong, but im leaning a lot more towards the game rather than your hardware since you say this is only happening within BO4. Maybe check the activation forums?

PS: This game has had a very bad reputation with nvidia drivers ever since release

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
[/quotemsg]

Hm. 120-70 is quite a large margin. There is definitely something wrong, but im leaning a lot more towards the game rather than your hardware since you say this is only happening within BO4. Maybe check the activation forums?

PS: This game has had a very bad reputation with nvidia drivers ever since release[/quotemsg]

That's the way I'm leaning, but I haven't really seen anyone else with the problem, so I can't help but think it's something on my end.

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

PS: This game has had a very bad reputation with nvidia drivers ever since release[/quotemsg]

That's the way I'm leaning, but I haven't really seen anyone else with the problem, so I can't help but think it's something on my end.[/quotemsg]

I had a bug for the first week where my game would crash completely for no reason after flashing 1000 different colors. Then the drivers updated and it went away. Lol. Im assuming you've rolled back drivers and checked for updates? I doubt its something on your end, really. I wouldnt worry about it. If its not fixed within the next driver update or it happens with other games, then its time to worry.

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018

That's the way I'm leaning, but I haven't really seen anyone else with the problem, so I can't help but think it's something on my end.[/quotemsg]

I had a bug for the first week where my game would crash completely for no reason after flashing 1000 different colors. Then the drivers updated and it went away. Lol. Im assuming you've rolled back drivers and checked for updates? I doubt its something on your end, really. I wouldnt worry about it. If its not fixed within the next driver update or it happens with other games, then its time to worry.[/quotemsg]

It's been going on a while but yeah hopefully things get fixed soon

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

I had a bug for the first week where my game would crash completely for no reason after flashing 1000 different colors. Then the drivers updated and it went away. Lol. Im assuming you've rolled back drivers and checked for updates? I doubt its something on your end, really. I wouldnt worry about it. If its not fixed within the next driver update or it happens with other games, then its time to worry.[/quotemsg]

It's been going on a while but yeah hopefully things get fixed soon[/quotemsg]

Have you tried rolling back drivers to an older set?

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018

Have you tried rolling back drivers to an older set?[/quotemsg]

i haven't but it's been a thing since launch, would rolling back my gpu drivers really change anything?

alkatraz333.jh

Commendable
Jan 14, 2018

i haven't but it's been a thing since launch, would rolling back my gpu drivers really change anything?[/quotemsg]

Oh yes, its 100 percent very possible that it would. Thats the first thing activion support will tell you to do.

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018
[/quotemsg]

i haven't but it's been a thing since launch, would rolling back my gpu drivers really change anything?[/quotemsg]

Oh yes, its 100 percent very possible that it would. Thats the first thing activion support will tell you to do.
[/quotemsg]

Even if the old drivers still had the same problem?

nezboppin

Commendable
Apr 28, 2018

Ahh I see, i'll give it a shot

Dec 19, 2018
hey there, i have the exact same problem and i found out what causes it.

if COD is not the program with the highest priority it underperforms, i tested it by putting COD's priority up to the same as OBS and it worked flawlessly, but every other app seemed to just die since there was 2 programs with high priority.

so, depending on what program you have with the highest priority you might want to drop it, unfortunatly i cant drop OBS's priority or encoding goes dowen the drain, so for me its not a solution...