[SOLVED] GPU Not Powering Up With Rest of System

Jul 6, 2020
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a new EVGA 2070 Super and a Corsair RM650i PSU from Amazon.de. on August 1st. It showed up on August 3rd and I instantly began the install process.

I installed the PSU and then the GPU. System booted up fine and indicated no error lights. I noticed however that the GPU did not light up. This was concerning. After further investigation, I noticed the fans weren't spinning either, but the GPU was heating up (likely from the PCIE slot powering it up). Did I plug in the PCIE cables from the PSU? Yes... I checked several times.

So, the GPU shows no light, fans not spinning, GPU heats up, but is not receiving power from PSU it seems. I tried a different PCIE slot and different cables, nothing changed. I then tried my old GTX 980 with the new PSU and it worked just fine.... Not to mention, the computer boots up without any other errors. I tried unplugging the CPU pin from the PSU and booted it up, the GPU's right fan turns on at full vocality while the left fan remains off with no lights.

After this, I even called EVGA customer support and they said it sounds like it's likely defective. I've already requested a replacement from Amazon and it's due to show up on 6 August... However, I'd like to see if there are any other troubleshooting methods I can try, should I encounter this again. Very odd that I received a defective card... Is this common? Thanks in advance!

Jul 6, 2020
Hardware being DOA does happen. The fact another card works and the new one does not would make it likely the new gpu is dead.
Thanks for that prompt response! So it looks like requesting the replacement was the smart thing to do. I googled a lot, so many people said to reseat the CPU, RAM, pull stuff out... I would have done that if the system itself was in-op... Oh well, I think this was the best thing I could have done. Thank God for EVGA customer support!