[SOLVED] GPU not turning on in PCIE x16 slot but is working fine in x4 slot. Someone help?

Jul 26, 2020
It's a MSI Radeon X580 GPU and a brand new MSI x570 motherboard. When in the x16 slot and I shut down normally and try to turn it back on the GPU won't boot. When I shut down and turn off the PSU and then reboot all works fine. But if I then have to restart the computer for any updates or something the GPU doesn't boot. When in the x4 slot all works fine. I currently have it in the x4 slot. Can anyone help to get my x16 slot working properly or reassure me that it isnt going to be a major problem leaving it in the x4 slot. Will provide more details if wanted.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard: Msi x570 Gaming Plus
GPU: Msi Radeon X580
PSU: Corsair RMx 650 W (2018)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RBG Pro DDR4 3200
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 510 SSD

Last edited:
It's a MSI Radeon X580 GPU and a brand new MSI x570 motherboard. When in the x16 slot and I shut down normally and try to turn it back on the GPU won't boot. When I shut down and turn off the PSU and then reboot all works fine. But if I then have to restart the computer for any updates or something the GPU doesn't boot. When in the x4 slot all works fine. I currently have it in the x4 slot. Can anyone help to get my x16 slot working properly or reassure me that it isnt going to be a major problem leaving it in the x4 slot. Will provide more details if wanted.

CPU: Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard: Msi x570 Gaming Plus
GPU: Msi Radeon X580
PSU: Corsair RMx 650 W (2018)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RBG Pro DDR4 3200
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 510 SSD
Go to BIOS setting, with the GPU on x16 slot

bios-manual-16.jpg

Try to set the "Initiate Graphic Adapter" to "PEG" or "PEG 1", if the option is available.

TRENDING THREADS