Question GPU not working after changing the CPU ?

Sep 28, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have an Asrock H310M-HDV, with an i5 8600k. I bought a used i9-9900 (it was working fine before i bought it), and when i made the switch, my pc was starting but no video output from the GPU (5700XT). (the igpu works fine).

Debugging found/tried the following things:
  • Bios has settings for both, a prefered GPU, and if it should disable the igpu when there is a dedicated GPU connected, those were previously properly set, I disabled and re enabled them back.
  • Found a bent pin on the motherboard which I fixed.
  • Cleared the connections on rams, and gpu.
  • Performed a CMOS clear.
  • Bios is updated.
  • Tried both intel stock cooler and a 212 I previously had.
  • Tried back the old i5 and works perfectly.
PSU: EVGA 750 Bronze
Ram: 16gb x2 Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200

And still gpu is not detected, nor by the bios or by Windows. I do not have another GPU to test, but I do have an PCIx1 wifi/bluetooth card, that I tested and worked in both x1 and x16 slots perfectly with the i9.

How can I continue debugging? There is no chance of returning the CPU so I would like to know if it makes sense to try buying a new Motherboard for the sake of testing (also, sadly, Intel's warranty expired last month), Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023
Bios version is 4.20 which currently listing the new CPU as compatible. There is a 4.30 beta version, I'll try with that one too and let you know how it goes :)

Hi everyone,

I have an Asrock H310M-HDV, with an i5 8600k. I bought an used i9-9900 (it was working fine before i bought it), and when i made the switch, my pc was starting but no video output from the GPU (5700XT). (the igpu works fine).

Debugging found/tried the following things:
  • Bios has settings for both, a prefered GPU, and if it should disable the igpu when there is a dedicated GPU connected, those were previously properly set, I disabled and re enabled them back.
  • Found a bent pin on the motherboard which I fixed.
  • Cleared the connections on rams, and gpu.
  • Performed a CMOS clear.
  • Bios is updated.
  • Tried both intel stock cooler and a 212 I previously had.
  • Tried back the old i5 and works perfectly.
PSU: EVGA 750 Bronze
Ram: 16gb x2 Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200

And still gpu is not detected, nor by the bios or by Windows. I do not have another GPU to test, but I do have an PCIx1 wifi/bluetooth card, that I tested and worked in both x1 and x16 slots perfectly with the i9.

How can I continue debugging? There is no chance of returning the CPU so I would like to know if it makes sense to try buying a new Motherboard for the sake of testing (also, sadly, Intel's warranty expired last month), Thanks.
Hey there,

How do you know the i9 worked before purchase? Did you test it?

Which exact model PSU are you running.

Given the i5 works as intended, it seems it's a dodgy i9 ! Are there any noticeable bent pins,or chared contacts on the CPU/Socket?

Did you clear CMOS after latest bios update?