GPU not working after driver installation

Jul 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'm writing here cause a few days ago my gpu (AMD Radeon R9 280 dual-x) suddenly decided to stop working. I booted the pc, and, after the mobo logo, the screen immediately went black and the monitor told me that there wasn't an HDMI input.

So, after a few tries, I decided to remove the gpu and boot with the integrated card, and it worked. I removed all the drivers of the gpu and booted with the amd gpu, and it worked. Windows then installed the last drivers, I updated them, and after some shutdowns, the gpu began to stop working again

Rinse and repeat, same result. I simply don't get why without the drivers it's ok and with them it's not. Some ideas?

Masoner

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Could be the Power Supply has faulted and when it comes under a load fizzles out.

Could be the GPU and after you put it back in your system w/o the drivers it wasn't pulling/doing anything. But when you installed the latest drivers, that forced the card to use correct resolution + Clock speeds/boost..etc and caused it to go out again.

Now you have to narrow down which component it could be.

Jul 28, 2018
Thanks for the reply

Fact is, after the installation of the drivers, the pc keeps working with the correct resolution; it's after a shutdown that the problem pops up again.

I too thought that it may be a power supply problem, but gpu's fans work properly. If it really is a power supply problem (which I hope), I have no idea how to verify it