GPU On, No Display

jackstawow

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
My buddy recently had his motherboard break on him. We swapped that one out and changed it to a MSi B85M-P33. We made sure it booted without the GPU, which it did, before shutting it off and installing the MSi R9 280x. Long story short, the computer powers on fine, just the GPU and motherboard do not output a connection. Just to try, we took the GPU out and tried it without, which it did work.

System Spec's:
Case: Bit Fenix Prodigy
Mobo: MSi B85M-P33
CPU: i5-4670k
CPU Cooler: Stock Cooler
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury (Red)
PSU: 660w Seesonic Platinum
HDD: 1TB WD Blue
GPU: MSi AMD R9 280x

popatim

Titan
If you didnt set the bios to initialize the pcie or PEG graphics first then it will run windows off the integrated gpu first, thinking your add-in gpu is going to be a secondary display. And since you havent yet set up a secondary display - it shows you nothing on it.

Go change the bios setting and enjoy your new GPU.

Be sure to unplug the pc from power before installing the card.

jackstawow

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015

Can you write in how to do this? I have a general idea on how, just am not completely sure.

*Edit* Looking at how to do this, I need to have the GPU installed in the PC for it to work, correct? My issue is that when I install the GPU, I have no form of display. I don't see the bios screen or anything. Do you suggest using another GPU and switching it? Then installing the one I have?

jackstawow

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
*Update* After trying almost everything possible, it seems as if the GPU is broken. I did manage to fix the broken Motherboard, so I will try that, but nothing else seems to work. BIOS is set PEG graphics, but I did not try disabling Integrated Graphics in Device Manager. Will post more information as I get it.