Question GPU only powers on at an angle, what is best fix, should I repair it ?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and more information.

Not sure about "powers on at an angle".

The 1/2 imgur image shows that the power connector is not securely snapped/hooked into place.

Do you mean that if the connector is fully snapped into place then the GPU does not work?

And you need to leave the power connector unsnapped?

Jun 27, 2024
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and more information.

Not sure about "powers on at an angle".

The 1/2 imgur image shows that the power connector is not securely snapped/hooked into place.

Do you mean that if the connector is fully snapped into place then the GPU does not work?

And you need to leave the power connector unsnapped?
Yes that’s exactly what I mean

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So basically it only runs in limp mode with the cable unplugged, and refuses to run at all with the cable plugged in?

You need to check everything in the chain here. PSU, PCIe connector (ie if you have another one, try that), and it could actually be the GPU itself having in issue at the plug.

Reactions: DrewB0
Jun 27, 2024
Your photo shows that the cable is not fully inserted.
It should go in all the way and the latch is there to keep it from pulling out.
Check the holes and socket for a match. You may be trying to use the wrong cable.
Cable is right, sockets match. It only powers on when it is not on the latch, it recognises the display ports after disabling intel graphics in bios but still says to plug in cable, but if I do that it doesn’t work at all .

Jun 27, 2024
So basically it only runs in limp mode with the cable unplugged, and refuses to run at all with the cable plugged in?

You need to check everything in the chain here. PSU, PCIe connector (ie if you have another one, try that), and it could actually be the GPU itself having in issue at the plug.
It is the connector on the GPU that is the problem it is damaged and I need to know if I can repair it.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
It is the connector on the GPU that is the problem it is damaged and I need to know if I can repair it.
Can't say without actually looking at the connector with my eyeballs. But sounds like a dry solder join. In which case an electronics repair shop may be able to fix it.

And/or loose worn contacts in the PCIE power connector.

Reactions: DrewB0
Jun 27, 2024
Can't say without actually looking at the connector with my eyeballs. But sounds like a dry solder join. In which case an electronics repair shop may be able to fix it.

And/or loose worn contacts in the PCIE power connector.
This is what my local electronic repair shop told me, thank you. Just hoping it is actually repairable before I take it there and get charged for an assessment and diagnostic when I kinda know what is wrong, I just needed to know if it is fixable and I’m not wasting money seeing them.

Or, if I should just replace the card and bin this one as it isn’t worth repairing.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Depends on the labour rate for your local repair person. RTX2060S is still a good card IMHO, but it's probably only worth $100 USD at best, when working properly. Up to you and where you're located I suppose.

Or you could take a gamble and try to find a friend who knows how to reflow with a soldering iron, and accepts payment in pizza or equivalent.

I have a 2060S and it's still capable for many tasks in 2024. Cost me $250 AUD used in 2023.