Question GPU or motherboard gone?

Sep 9, 2021
A couple of months ago my PSU smoked. I took it out, cleaned my PC, removed the GPU (ASUS Strix GTX 970) and CPU cooler to clean. I inherited the PC so my IT technician brother helped me to reinstall the parts.

However the PC does not post. It starts up and runs, fans and LED lights, but there is no display. A few times the PC has turned on and stayed on for a second and then turned off quickly. The GPU fan also makes quite a loud noise.

What is the likeliest issue here?

Sep 9, 2021
if PSU smoked, everything could be burnt with it, theres no clear telling what survived and what not, test each part in working systems to rule out dead parts
Nothing looks burnt on the outside and everything responds somewhat but not enough to start the system up fully. Sadly I don't have access to any other systems to test them out. Are there any tell-tale signs for certain components?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Nothing looks burnt on the outside and everything responds somewhat but not enough to start the system up fully. Sadly I don't have access to any other systems to test them out. Are there any tell-tale signs for certain components?

What do you mean "somewhat but not enough?" How are you determining this?

There's no shortcut here. Though we can make guesses if we knew the equipment; junk PSUs less likely to leave things working. But in the end, there's no telltale sign. It either works or it does not and the parts need to be in a situation in which the possibility of working exists.

Sep 9, 2021
You do not say whether you replaced the PSU that smoked, or merely re-used it.

Yes, it's a new PSU. EVGA BQ Bronze 650w

What do you mean "somewhat but not enough?" How are you determining this?

There's no shortcut here. Though we can make guesses if we knew the equipment; junk PSUs less likely to leave things working. But in the end, there's no telltale sign. It either works or it does not and the parts need to be in a situation in which the possibility of working exists.

I mean that the fans spin, the LED lights on the motherboard come on and the PC runs. I mean that it's not enough to POST. I can't tell much more than that without the display and it's not like anything is jumping out at me as being the culprit because it's just not working. It's a brand new PSU so I don't think it's that.