Question GPU overclock is fine in games and benchmarking but crashes when idling

teddysurf

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
So just like the header says my new 7900 GRE when overclocked it’ll play fine in games and when benchmarking but once I exit the game and go to the home screen, or do some web surfing the system will gray screen and either freeze or restart. I don’t have a lot of experience overclocking GPUs so any pointers would be helpful.

In the adrenaline software settings

Minimum frequency is set to 500 Mhz
Max frequency is set to 2803 Mhz
Voltage 985mV
Max memory frequency is 2414 Mhz fast timings enabled
Power tuning is set to +15%

MBD: Asus X670E-A
CPU: Ryzen 7900X cpu
GPU 7900 GRE
SSD: 2 x WD_SN850X
PSU: Corsair 850w
RAM: 32GB Gskill

So just like the header says my new 7900 GRE when overclocked it’ll play fine in games and when benchmarking but once I exit the game and go to the home screen, or do some web surfing the system will gray screen and either freeze or restart. I don’t have a lot of experience overclocking GPUs so any pointers would be helpful.

In the adrenaline software settings

Minimum frequency is set to 500 Mhz
Max frequency is set to 2803 Mhz
Voltage 985mV
Max memory frequency is 2414 Mhz fast timings enabled
Power tuning is set to +15%

MBD: Asus X670E-A
CPU: Ryzen 7900X cpu
GPU 7900 GRE
SSD: 2 x WD_SN850X
PSU: Corsair 850w
RAM: 32GB Gskill
Hey there,

So at stock, there are no issues, right?

If your GPU or system crashes, despite what load type, it usually indicates the OC isn't stable. Bump the voltage up a notch. 985mv is pretty low. for such a powerful card.

teddysurf

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Hey there,

So at stock, there are no issues, right?

If your GPU or system crashes, despite what load type, it usually indicates the OC isn't stable. Bump the voltage up a notch. 985mv is pretty low. for such a powerful card.

First, thanks for the reply. It seems to be stable at stock settings, though I haven’t really tested it that much because I just got the card. I’ve played with the voltage plenty and it still happens. I know it’s unstable, my question is why would it be unstable at idle and not in games or benchmarks? I just lowered the power limit from 15 to 13 and it doesn’t seem to be crashing…. so I’ll test it for a while like this.

Last edited: