GPU overclocking and cooling?

PC Beginner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
To give you the question I have to give an example. Lets say I have a GPU that runs at 90C temp. at max and it is overclocked. Now lets say I add a good cooling to it, like a water cooling kit. This is a two part question. Since I lowered the temp. with a water cooling kit, am I able to overclock it more? If I overclock it more, can I still damage the GPU? Meaning are their other factors besides temperature that can damage the GPU when overclocking? Same is asked for the CPU.

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
You probably wouldn't be able to overclock it more without putting more voltage to it. And putting more voltage to it, even if temps are relatively lower, always increases the risk of damaging your card.

I beat amuffin. Yay.

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
What do you mean? When you install a water block, I believe it contacts all the main components. Your card will be cooler, but putting more power than was intended will always have a risk of permanent damage.

2 seconds.
freddie-mercury-so-close-pose1.jpg

PC Beginner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

When I was reading on water cooling, I have read that you can actually buy a water block for the voltage regulator itself on the GPU. So when overclocking, temp is not the only problem then right?

PC Beginner

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012

Not buying water cooling yet, just trying to see what can be done with it. So voltage is a problem other than temps then?

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Adding water cooling will give you more over clocking head room for sure.

however there is still a point where even water is not enough and people go to Dry Ice. when thats not enough LN2 or Liquid Helium is used. and once that is not enough you have reached the maximum ability of the hardware.

there are voltage add-on cards available that allow you to pump all the volts you like in. but are generally only used with LN2 or Liquid Helium and only by over clocking professionals as they require hardware modding the graphics card.

most people will water-cool as a noise reducer. getting rid of CPU & VGA fans and getting nice quite rad fans turns a PC into a nice quite piece of bliss.