Question GPU power connectors making crackling noises mainly during boot — PSU fault or something else?

Apr 1, 2023
Hi everyone,

When I turn my PC on it briefly spins up my fans and right before they stop I consistently hear a crackling noise coming from around the PCIe power-pin connections. This is not the only time it happens, but it is the most reliable and consistent way to observe the issue. I’ve noticed it across two GPUs, my current 6800-XT and a 6750-XT I RMA’d for strange noises during idle that honestly sound like this same crackling, just if the noise went on for longer and was more extreme. I don’t know whether to blame my PSU or not because it’s very new (like, bought three months ago new) and has generally served me just fine with no unusual shutdowns. Closest thing I can think of is with my last GPU the Radeon software would often reset my tuning and notify me that “default WattMan settings have been restored after an unexpected power failure.” This usually didn’t coincide with any driver crashes in games or anything else, I’d just boot up my PC after shutting it down normally earlier and see that it reset stuff. Additionally I haven’t noticed that issue on my new card, which is also running AMD drivers.

The only guesses I have besides a bad PSU are that it’s my old motherboard’s fault somehow or my house’s wiring is causing problems. I’ve already contacted Corsair support but I haven’t heard back yet and would like to get some second opinions on here if y’all have any thoughts. For the record, I have made sure the power connectors are properly seated.

Here is my full PC spec sheet:

PSU: Corsair RM750x (2021)
Motherboard: ASRock A320m/ac
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: XFX MERC 6800-XT
DRAM: HyperX Predator 2x16GB DDR4 3200
Boot drive: Samsung 980 1TB

Here are some videos of the issue: https://files.fm/u/f2m5e93ng

I found a YouTube short from someone that’s hearing the same noises but in their case it’s coming directly from the PSU: https://youtube.com/shorts/ytEqjU6fQfc?feature=share

I am able to use the PC without any problems, most games run great on this thing, as far as I can tell whatever’s causing the noise is not currently affecting my system’s functionality. That being said, it’s still a scary noise and nobody wants to worry about something being wrong with their system. If anybody that knows about this stuff could at least tell me if it’s something I should be really worried about, that’d be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Are you powering the GPU using a pigtail of the PCIe connectors? Did you try working with a reliably built 80W unit borrowed from a friend or neighbor? Out of curiosity, perhaps not related to the GPU, BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Apr 1, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Are you powering the GPU using a pigtail of the PCIe connectors? Did you try working with a reliably built 80W unit borrowed from a friend or neighbor? Out of curiosity, perhaps not related to the GPU, BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
Hey there, so I’m running the GPU off of two individual PCIe connectors and no I have not been able to test a different power supply, although I do have a slightly-sketchy High Power 500W 80+ Bronze lying around (when I say sketchy I just mean the fan started grinding after carefully taking it out one time and it freaked me out). I’m willing to install it as a last resort and/or if Corsair support asks me to, but it’s not something I’m able to make time for currently. Do you think this noise could be indicative of something dangerous i.e. a potential fire hazard or long-term damage to my components? I’ve been living with it in some capacity for a few months now but I’ve only just found out exactly where it’s coming from. Knowing the power delivery to my new and expensive GPU is creating strange electrical noises does not make me want to continue using my PC.

BIOS version is P4.00, not up-to-date but it supports my CPU. Is that something I should still look into? Thanks