Question GPU Power Draw Issue After PC Waking from Sleep Mode

Sep 6, 2024
Hi, I recently built a new PC with a 4070 Ti Super, but I've encountered an issue.

After waking the system from Sleep Mode, the GPU's power draw appears to be limited. Normally, the GPU can draw up to 285W, but after sleep, it's capped around 100W, leading to a significant FPS drop.

For example, I tested Far Cry 6, where FPS normally hovers around 130. However, after waking the PC from sleep, it drops to about 50 FPS. Even though GPU utilization remains at 100%, the power draw varies. Initially, it's around 240 watts, but after waking the PC from sleep, the power draw drops to around 100 watts. You can see the results here: View: https://imgur.com/a/low-gpu-usage-z400MDK

Thermals don't seem to be an issue. I've rolled back the GPU drivers, reinstalled them several times, but the problem persists. Restarting the PC resolves this issue.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, and what can I do to fix it?

My specs (all new):
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
B650 AORUS ELITE AX V2
Zotac RTX 4070 TI Super
Corsair RM750x

Thanks in advance!

i've seen a few other RTX users over the last few years complaining that they notice a huge drop in performance out of nowhere.
upon checking they all have noticed that their GPU power % in Afterburner "auto-lowered".

those few have all stated that raising it back to 100% keeps it that way for some time, but the issue would sometimes arise again.