Question GPU powers on, but no fans spin & LED strip not lit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2021
I have a recent pc build with a MSI 3080ti and has work for a few months when today I go to turn it on and nothing happens. MB has power and LEDs are lit. I hard reset the surge protector and everything turns on as normal except the gpu. The fans aren’t spinning and the led strip doesn’t light. NZXT cam shows the gpu clock is normal and temp is displayed but fans never kick on and I cannot get the LED strip to light through MSI mystic light. MSI afterburner won’t let me turn on fans either. I reset the GPU in the a lot along with all the three eight pin connectors at the PSU and GPU. Here is complete build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xkm2vf
What could be the cause of this?

Does this GPU come with a BIOS selection button (normal operation, overclocking, etc), check to see if the button is set correctly, or even try the other option.

Its a long shot but: If that doesn't work then you could check if you can see the fan and led cables plug into the GPU PCB, they may have gone lose (I do not think this is the case, but you never know)

Finally if everything else fail to fix the issue, and no one comes with a better idea you can try the following:

Turn off the PC, unplug it from the wall power socket. Remove the GPU outside the case. Now press the power button a few times and then hold it down for 30 seconds too to drain residual energy.

After that (and keeping the PC power cable unplugged from the wall) insert the GPU back on its slot, plug in the pcie power cables, and repeat the power button procedure I wrote up ( ▲ ) there.

Now plug the PC power cable back, cross fingers and try to turn on the PC again.

As a last resort plug the GPU into a diferent pcie slot on the motherboard.

Good luck, hope it get fix!

Last edited:

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
Do you have the program GPU-Z? If not I would recommend downloading it (it's free) and checking the sensors page. Also, is the driver version up to date?

Sep 28, 2021
Does this GPU come with a BIOS selection button (normal operation, overclocking, etc), check to see if the button is set correctly, or even try the other option.

Its a long shot but: If that doesn't work then you could check if you can see the fan and led cables plug into the GPU PCB, they may have gone lose (I do not think this is the case, but you never know)

Finally if everything else fail to fix the issue, and no one comes with a better idea you can try the following:

Turn off the PC, unplug it from the wall power socket. Remove the GPU outside the case. Now press the power button a few times and then hold it down for 30 seconds too to drain residual energy.

After that (and keeping the PC power cable unplugged from the wall) insert the GPU back on its slot, plug in the pcie power cables, and repeat the power button procedure I wrote up ( ▲ ) there.

Now plug the PC power cable back, cross fingers and try to turn on the PC again.

As a last resort plug the GPU into a diferent pcie slot on the motherboard.

Good luck, hope it get fix!
I couldn’t find any BIOS selection button. The plugs for the fans and led are tight in the pcb. Tried the power reset step by step same result. Tried the other pcie slot with no change still no light no fans.

Literally nothing out of the ordinary I played some rocket league for about an hour and shut off normally to come back three hours later with this problem.

I see, I assumed the leds and fans of the GPU don't work when you press the power button is this correct? They used to work but now they don't?

And do the fans stay off even if start rocket league?, I mean I don't suggest you play a match, just asking if you tried to start the game and stay at the game menu while keeping an eye on the GPU temps on GPUZ. Do the fans work, or do they stay off?

Sep 28, 2021
I see, I assumed the leds and fans of the GPU don't work when you press the power button is this correct? They used to work but now they don't?

And do the fans stay off even if start rocket league?, I mean I don't suggest you play a match, just asking if you tried to start the game and stay at the game menu while keeping an eye on the GPU temps on GPUZ. Do the fans work, or do they stay off?
That’s correct they did work when I pressed the power button and now they do not. I started rocket league and nothing happens. If I let it sit at idle the temps will keep rising past 70 degrees when I’ve never even hit 70 gaming for extended time periods.

That’s correct they did work when I pressed the power button and now they do not. I started rocket league and nothing happens. If I let it sit at idle the temps will keep rising past 70 degrees when I’ve never even hit 70 gaming for extended time periods.

Do you have any MSI software installed on your PC?, Like MSI Center?

Have you tried to remove nzxt cam and clean the system using ccleaner portable ?

I do have MSI Center. I have not tried removing cam or using cleaner portable. Would ccleaner portable really help anything?

Only to remove any trash that Cam can leave behind after uninstalling.

About MSI Center I think (not 100% sure about this) there should be an option (which I can not remember the name right now) about silent GPU Fans or something like that. It should have two selections On and Off. Try changing that and restarting the PC.

It will not hurt also to see if there is any BIOS update (not saying you should update your GPU BIOS right away) that may fix this issue on the oficial MSI website of your GPU.

Anyways need to go sleep, work tomorrow and all that, good luck! I really hope someone else comes with a better idea to help you.

Cheers!

Sep 28, 2021
Only to remove any trash that Cam can leave behind after uninstalling.

About MSI Center I think (not 100% sure about this) there should be an option (which I can not remember the name right now) about silent GPU Fans or something like that. It should have two selections On and Off. Try changing that and restarting the PC.

It will not hurt also to see if there is any BIOS update (not saying you should update your GPU BIOS right away) that may fix this issue on the oficial MSI website of your GPU.

Anyways need to go sleep, work tomorrow and all that, good luck! I really hope someone else comes with a better idea to help you.

Cheers!
Can’t hurt to try I’ll try uninstalling cam and using MSI Center to change the silent fan function. Can’t hurt to check for a bios update as well. I appreciate all the help I’ll keep this post updated if anything changes.

Reactions: RodroX
Sep 28, 2021
Can’t hurt to try I’ll try uninstalling cam and using MSI Center to change the silent fan function. Can’t hurt to check for a bios update as well. I appreciate all the help I’ll keep this post updated if anything changes.
So last night I updated my system BIOS but not the GPU VBIOS I have to see if it needs one. The weird thing is now the GPU clock is acting normal not spiked at 1770Mhz and the temp is regulating normally. However the led light bar and fans still never kick on. I jumped into a game to try and get the fans to kick on but they never did. I used ccleaner portable after getting rid of cam also no change. I’m going to try the VBIOS for the GPU later today.

So last night I updated my system BIOS but not the GPU VBIOS I have to see if it needs one. The weird thing is now the GPU clock is acting normal not spiked at 1770Mhz and the temp is regulating normally. However the led light bar and fans still never kick on. I jumped into a game to try and get the fans to kick on but they never did. I used ccleaner portable after getting rid of cam also no change. I’m going to try the VBIOS for the GPU later today.

WAIT! before doing any VBIOS modification:

A few extra things:

Did you tried use DDU to uninstall the current driver, and then to download the latest nvidia driver from nvidia of course (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/)?

Do you have another PC to test the GPU in?

Do you have another GPU to test on your PC?

And.... How old is your GPU?, Cause you may aswell run the warranty if available.

Sep 28, 2021
I did not use DDU to uninstall the driver then reinstall I’ll definitely do this first!
Also I bought the card in July so it definitely should still be under warranty and I contacted MSI about it but they haven’t gotten back to me yet about proceeding with the warranty. I unfortunately don’t have another pc or gpu to test with. My one friend said they were too scared to let me put it in their setup.

I did not use DDU to uninstall the driver then reinstall I’ll definitely do this first!
Also I bought the card in July so it definitely should still be under warranty and I contacted MSI about it but they haven’t gotten back to me yet about proceeding with the warranty. I unfortunately don’t have another pc or gpu to test with. My one friend said they were too scared to let me put it in their setup.

Yeah lol, lending a GPU for testing this days is like lending an expensive car to go to the market for food.

As I said yesterday, you can check for a VBIOS update to see if theres anything related to your issue, but don't use it just yet. I a good idea to wait for MSI official response.

Sep 28, 2021
Yeah lol, lending a GPU for testing this days is like lending an expensive car to go to the market for food.

As I said yesterday, you can check for a VBIOS update to see if theres anything related to your issue, but don't use it just yet. I a good idea to wait for MSI official response.
Right I understood his hesitation. But I’ll check for the VBIOS but I have heard of them bricking GPUs so I’ll probably just go through MSI warrenty

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Status
Not open for further replies.