News GPU Prices Plummet Along With Crypto

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
When street prices are below the MSRP then you'll have a worthy story.

For actual gaming value that is where they need to be before any of them are a worthwhile buy.
A 3080 at MSRP was a terrible deal to begin with, at the time I said anyone willing to pay $700+ shipping/tax was insane, and that would still be the same terrible deal today.
They have a long, long way to go.

InvalidError

Titan
eBay volume going down isn't necessarily something to worry about, could just be a sign of more people managing to get better deals at retailers and marketplaces now that scalping on eBay is cooling down. If it takes longer to find someone to scalp for each card you are already sitting on, it takes longer to recover capital to buy and scalp the next cards.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
When street prices are below the MSRP then you'll have a worthy story.

For actual gaming value that is where they need to be before any of them are a worthwhile buy.
A 3080 at MSRP was a terrible deal to begin with, at the time I said anyone willing to pay $700+ shipping/tax was insane, and that would still be the same terrible deal today.
They have a long, long way to go.
The original $700 for a 3080 was not a terrible deal. Actually, it was considered the best bang for the buck of the 3000 series by pretty much anyone. I don't understand why you would think that. What GPU msrps do you think were a good deal?

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
And then crypto will go back up and GPUs will follow. I think we need some actual change like intel getting into the market or the ethereum merge actually happening. And before someone screams at me, I know, ethereum isn't the only mined crypto. But its the most popular and profitable.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
The MSRPs that would allow AMD and Nvidia to have a 10-15% net profit margin (what you would get in a truly competitive market) instead of the 30+% they are currently aiming for which is typically only achievable by oligopolies.
Yeah. I was saying this because the 3080 for $699 was such a good deal so I wanted to see what cards @LolaGT thought were good deals.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Where are these GPU price drops or where are they plummeting?

At all the shops I look in EU still have the same prices, nothing's changed. Maybe if crypto stays down for at least a month, maybe we'll talk about this then...

Click bait, BS title.

The MSRPs that would allow AMD and Nvidia to have a 10-15% net profit margin (what you would get in a truly competitive market) instead of the 30+% they are currently aiming for which is typically only achievable by oligopolies.
I would love those MSRPs too, but you got some facts wrong, with today's MSRPs we have the 45% AMD tax and 60% nvidia tax... but also with nvidia now not having MSRP for 3080 12GB, 3090 Ti and 3070 Ti 16GB, the nvidia tax on those is from 60% to infinity.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Where are these GPU price drops or where are they plummeting?

At all the shops I look in EU still have the same prices, nothing's changed. Maybe if crypto stays down for at least a month, maybe we'll talk about this then...

Click bait, BS title.
They are looking at eBay, as stated in the first paragraph in this article.

Last edited:

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
They are looking at eBay, as stated in the first paragraph in this article.
Exactly my point. They take 1 example vs the entire world... guess what matters?

1-2 shops? US? Or the rest of the world which has almost no prices drops in most of the stores? Hm?
Don't answer, it's rhetorical.

Also crypto seems to have stopped falling and it's now going up a little.
Like I said, it needs to go down and stay down for at least a month to see price drops globally.

1 shop or 1 country is not indicative of the entire world, so I stand by what I said: click bait title and BS. As usual these days... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Why_Me

InvalidError

Titan
Exactly my point. They take 1 example vs the entire world... guess what matters?

1-2 shops? US? Or the rest of the world which has almost no prices drops in most of the stores? Hm?
There is no way to know how many cards any store sold at any particular price. eBay auctions on the other hand are public record, you know exactly how many cards went for what price if you are willing to do the research. They are the best numbers you are going to get short of having insider info from a shop.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
There is no way to know how many cards any store sold at any particular price. eBay auctions on the other hand are public record, you know exactly how many cards went for what price if you are willing to do the research. They are the best numbers you are going to get short of having insider info from a shop.
Sure, but how much % of the entire world shops does ebay represent? 1%? 5%?

It's a very very little slice of pie, this 1 shop, compared to all the shops in all the regions in the world, to boldly claim "GPU prices plummet", because in fact not only they do not plummet, but they hardly dropped at all. 1% or 5% does not represent the majority and the majority dictates the truth of this particular price drop or not.

That store is just an exception and even there the prices did not "plummet" = BS, click bait article.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
I had paid around $1800 for my 3080Ti from my local retailer, but consider it includes 10% VAT and 30% Luxury Item Import Tax (yes, GPU is categorized as a Luxury Item in my country), that leave only 10% margin for them, which IMHO makes perfect sense.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Anyone paying over $1000 on ANY gaming GPU is a fool with more money than sense.

There are no excuses, no reasons, no justifications whatsoever. That's the simple truth.

And the other simple truth is that starting with Turing and especially 2080Ti at $1200, those fools that bough those GPUs gave the go ahead and their support for prices to get this ridiculous and to get even worse going forward... there was no pandemic, or crypto boom, or shipping and substrate issue then, so no excuses for that stupid price. 2080Ti had 30% more performance at 70% higher price than a 1080 Ti... yet the fools paid.

Soon people will justify $5000 gaming GPUs and then $10000 gaming GPUs. So when it's gonna be too much for even the biggest fools of them all? Should we get $100000 gaming GPUs???

Madness. People have lost their minds. And it's only getting worse...

InvalidError

Titan
There are no excuses, no reasons, no justifications whatsoever. That's the simple truth.
A commodity is worth whatever the market is willing to pay for the available supply and crypto-miners are willing to pay those prices because they still turn a profit from it so gamers who want their shiny new GPU now have to compete with them for the available supply.

Soon people will justify $5000 gaming GPUs and then $10000 gaming GPUs.
People have built $10 000+ gaming PCs in the past using high-end motherboard with PLX switches on $1500+ server motherboards and $1000+ matching CPUs to fully support quad-SLI, not exactly new to people who want the fastest gaming box they can possibly throw together no matter the cost.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
A commodity is worth whatever the market is willing to pay for the available supply and crypto-miners are willing to pay those prices because they still turn a profit from it so gamers who want their shiny new GPU now have to compete with them for the available supply.

People have built $10 000+ gaming PCs in the past using high-end motherboard with PLX switches on $1500+ server motherboards and $1000+ matching CPUs to fully support quad-SLI, not exactly new to people who want the fastest gaming box they can possibly throw together no matter the cost.
1. Yes, yes it's worth whatever the market (as in, fools pay) bla bla bla, BUT that does not mean those willing to pay any price are not insane. Someone can consider worth paying 1 mil USD for a candy bar, that does not mean he's not insane either... having lots of money does not guarantee sanity at all.

2. It will be new, when 1 GPU alone will cost $10000, not the entire PC... because if I'm not mistaken, I think we have already reached the new crazy at $5000 on some extreme versions of the 3090 and if not, then some version of 3090 Ti will surely reach that.

$10000 for a whole PC is nuts, $10000 for only one component, a GPU even, is lunacy asylum territory.

Let me put it this way, would paying for the lowest entry GPU (think RTX x060 or even RTX x050 class from nvidia) not be insane if the price of that GPU would be $5000?
Which means from RTX x050 up to RTX x090 Ti you can get up to $10000.

I don't care about economic explanations and excuses, the issue is sanity here. And it's not debatable. This is the direction we are headed, unless something major stops this trend...

InvalidError

Titan
1. Yes, yes it's worth whatever the market (as in, fools pay) bla bla bla, BUT that does not mean those willing to pay any price are not insane. Someone can consider worth paying 1 mil USD for a candy bar, that does not mean he's not insane either... having lots of money does not guarantee sanity at all.
Except it isn't just one person. The entire production of decent GPUs worldwide is going at those substantially inflated prices.

If manufacturers cannot keep up with demand at a given price, then there is still room for prices to go even higher in the current market. You may not like it but there is still more than enough of a market to sustain those prices.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Anyone paying over $1000 on ANY gaming GPU is a fool with more money than sense.

And the other simple truth is that starting with Turing and especially 2080Ti at $1200, those fools that bough those GPUs gave the go ahead and their support for prices to get this ridiculous and to get even worse going forward... there was no pandemic, or crypto boom, or shipping and substrate issue then, so no excuses for that stupid price. 2080Ti had 30% more performance at 70% higher price than a 1080 Ti... yet the fools paid.

Soon people will justify $5000 gaming GPUs and then $10000 gaming GPUs. So when it's gonna be too much for even the biggest fools of them all? Should we get $100000 gaming GPUs???

Madness. People have lost their minds. And it's only getting worse...
People haven't lost their minds. Some people need a good PC. Think about this. A PC does sooo many things. People can spend their entire day on a PC if they do work from home on it and then game on it. Or do school and gaming. For something that gets a lot of use its ok to build a multi-thousand dollar rig. I agree with you that it seems crazy and i personally will never spend a lot on a PC unless I'm filthy rich but I don't think you are thinking about any other people in this situation. If you spend 12 hours a day working and gaming and then you idle mine overnight its absolutely worth it for a lot of people to spend $5,000 on a PC.

InvalidError

Titan
Only for how long would this crypto implosion last?
Depends on what caused it. If the cause is many major countries deciding that crypto is a nonsense from a regulatory, tax, crime, environmental, e-waste or other similar reasons, then it should be close to gone for good.

If the crash is because of ETH 2.0 causing most PoW miners to drop out and becomes stakers instead, then it may only last until the next GPU-mining crypto coin king is crowned and those formerly ETH-mining GPUs find new homes mining other stuff.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
People haven't lost their minds. Some people need a good PC. Think about this. A PC does sooo many things. People can spend their entire day on a PC if they do work from home on it and then game on it. Or do school and gaming. For something that gets a lot of use its ok to build a multi-thousand dollar rig. I agree with you that it seems crazy and i personally will never spend a lot on a PC unless I'm filthy rich but I don't think you are thinking about any other people in this situation. If you spend 12 hours a day working and gaming and then you idle mine overnight its absolutely worth it for a lot of people to spend $5,000 on a PC.
You missed the part where I bolded the "gaming" word. That's the issue part, for "gaming". Not pro-sumer work, workstations etc. So for those that only game.

I thought it was enough to stress that world alone, without explanations.

So yes, these prices, for a gaming GPU are beyond crazy.

For nvidia as long as it has the Geforce brand as a prefix it's a gaming GPU and the drivers and it's limitations prove that too. That's why the 3090 is a fool's Titan GPU, because it's not an actual Titan GPU, it's a lie or more exactly a clever deceit from Jensen, when he said "Titan class", but he did not say Titan card, nor name it Titan. So technically he did not lie, yet people believed something else.

So all of these stupidly erxpensive GPUs are for gaming.