Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Wow. Given:
1) A huge artificial price bubble from crypto that has burst
2) A large inventory of cards that weren't moving due to said bubble
3) A new model that depresses value of the old
4) An inventory of used cards being dumped by miners

This might be the best time to upgrade, given price and value.

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014

Agreed. I have a Radeon 390 and a 1440p monitor. I can run most 1440p games at high or better quality, though I'm sure my framerate drops at bit at some points. But given that I don't intend to go to a 4K monitor in the near future, I'm tempted to grab a GTX 1080 (or Ti with more price drop). Should ensure my 1440p games stay smooth and at ultra settings.

I am a bit curious about the 2060. Don't think I'll go for a 2070 if they don't drop below $500. But if a 2060 comes close to a 1080 for my 1440p games, maybe that's the way to go. Not in a rush because my Radeon 390 is still pretty solid. Then again, my current favorite games are Tomb Raider, so getting the RTX benefit on the new one is appealing.

Thoughts on the secondary market? Best places to go? I know some people refuse to touch eBay, and some like Amazon.

cpmackenzi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2014

I don't think it hurts to wait a bit, until the 2070s come out. I seriously doubt the 1070s will get more expensive. If you don't need it right now, no harm in waiting. Maybe you'd even prefer a 2060 depending on price and performance.

lucamakar21

Reputable
Aug 20, 2018
I really need to upgrade ASAP because I am currently running two Radeon HD 6900's in crossfire and they barely get me to 60 fps with low graphics in new games.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Well, as of yesterday there was an Ebay for the EVGA GTX 1080 for $399 shipped. It is sold out. I would recommend your doing a web search of "best graphics card deals this week" and click what should be the top or second result. That mag auto hunts and lists good deals. They had the 1070 for even $30 less than that, might still be in stock.
Decent spec starting point for 1060 is still 280-ish

Aug 21, 2018
@Punkncat,

What are you talking about? A 1060 is like $200. I see an EVGA one for $220 at B&H photo right now.

Glancing over at ebay looks like the used 1080 Ti is trending down to $400 to $450 for cards closing in the next day. Have to wait a few days to see if closing prices stick to that or not, but they probably will.

gary2yu - that's the 3gb which is a 1060 'lite' - it has cut down performance as well as half the vram.if all you have is $220 then buy a 4gb rx580

lucamakar21 - ebay safe to buy a gpu ? I'd say no personally.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

I don't count the 3gb cards. IMO they are not 'really' a 1060 in the true sense of the word. I really am not a fan of the PNY cards that have been super cheap as of late as well. If you go with a reputable card maker, 6GB, and want something like a backplate (which is mostly aftermarket with 1060 unfortunately) you put yourself well above the $300 mark

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

The important factor with Ebay is to look at the seller rating. 98.5% or better when possible for anything. I don't personally buy used stuff there unless I have to. I try to stay new. The card I mention above was from EVGA themselves. Many outlets have an eBay front they use to sell for less than their own website or extend sales, etc.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Even with the 580's you have to be careful what you are buying. Newegg and a few other retailers had a bit of a stink a few months back for selling 'less than' RX cards without making it obvious it was a variant.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ As I recall, this issue wasn't directly related to Newegg or any other manufacturer lying, per se, about it. The problem was that they got a (several) shipments that did vary from the specs they has listed without changing them. It was corrected shortly afterwards. I cannot find a supporting news link in a quick search.

Jim90

Distinguished
If an RTX 1070 is described as 'more powerful than a Titan Xp' (i.e. >1080Ti), I'd fully expect that prices are going to come down further very soon, unless NVIDIA ($499 for a 2070) were to risk becoming the subject for a major backlash.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
While a gtx 1080 would be over kill for my current pc I may just pick one up for this Christmas any way to replace the ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1060 AMP Edition I'm using now, as $700 Canadian is not a bad price for a ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 AMP Edition card. Once the 20xx series cards actually start selling in retail stores we may even see prices drop a little lower for some of the 10xx series models.

Status
Not open for further replies.