Question Gpu problem

crayg30

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Hi, I’ve just changed my graphics card down from a gtx 1070 to a gtx 1060 but when I connect with the 8pin to the power pack and the 6 pin to the gpu the pc doesn’t boot up when I disconnect the cable from the gpu pc boots up, I’m using the spare pci e cable that came with the motherboard Any help is appreciated

The power cable would not come with the motherboard, it would only come with the psu. You must only use power cables that come with the psu or are made for that exact psu. PSU cables are not interchangeable between PSU’s and can cause damage as the psu end is often wired differently.

Reactions: crayg30

crayg30

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
The power cable would not come with the motherboard, it would only come with the psu. You must only use power cables that come with the psu or are made for that exact psu. PSU cables are not interchangeable between PSU’s and can cause damage as the psu end is often wired differently.
The cables came with the pc so maybe they did come with the PSU but they’re all in the one box that housed the motherboard, my gtx 1070 used the 8pin pci e cable but as I’m selling the pc my son who had the gtx 1060 wanted my GPU so I just swapped over GPUs but the pc with the 1060 in won’t boot up but as soon as I disconnect cable to gpu pc boots up normally. Windows recognises the gtx 1060
Any ideas