[SOLVED] GPU recommended for Blender, Zbrush, Cycles and EEVEE

wozdods

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
Hi there guys.

I've been hired to build a workstation for one of my clients, and he'll need the aforementioned software. I'm in doubt as to what GPU to use.

So far I have come to these main components, as per the client's budget:
The CPU will be a Ryzen 5 3600, with 32GB RAM, 512 GB Nvme M.2, 2 x 2TB HDDs from WD or Toshiba, with a 80+ Full Modular Gold PSU from XFX (550W XTR2, if I'm not mistaken), with a B450 MB that'll allow for a second M.2 to be installed in the near future. The specific componentes will be defined when we close the deal sometime next month. The case will be as spacious and well cooled as possible, with support to many HDDs, but that will also be chosen later.

I'm not sure what will be the gain from using a Quadro card, but I'm pretty sure he'll benefit from CUDA. So I'd like to ask all of you which middle to high end card would be more suitable to the task. Would a RTX be adequate? Would he benefit from a Quadro card? Which model would be most suitable (in either case)?

I confess I'm not familiar with computers built for the required workload, so my research has been purely theoretical so far.

All help would be much appreciated.

Solution
The primary considerations for all of those applications are OpenGL 3.0 or higher, and in some cases, CUDA. The RTX cards fully support up to OpenGL 4.6 and CUDA, as well as having ray tracing support which many of the workstation cards will lack. For a 3d or game developer, I can't see there being anything on a workstation card, for those applications, that offers it any benefit over an RTX card. Some high end CAD and 3D applications DO have driver requirements that either require or work better with a specific type of workstation card but the applications listed are quite compatible with RTX and even Nvidia 1000 series cards. Probably even a 900 series card would be fine, but I'd stick to an RTX card.
RTX cards have CUDA. The ONLY reason to use a dedicated workstation card these days is IF the manufacturer specifically indicates that the application has only workstation specific card model drivers, and in some cases not even then. Most of the recent Puget systems reviews for high end 3d type applications show little to no benefit across the board for them from using workstation cards. Especially if you don't go with a very high end workstation card. An RTX 2070, 2080 or 2080 TI will likely give you everything any of the much higher priced cards have to offer, including CUDA, for a lot less money.

I'm sure there are some use cases where that won't be the case, but unless you can find specific evidence through the manufacturers recommendations that an RTX card won't work, or CAN'T find evidence for a specific application that it WILL, I'd look at those options instead. I'm sure there will be some detractors to this assessment, and admittedly workstation graphics isn't my strongest area, but past and recent investigation has led me to that same conclusion so far, regardless of what applications we were looking at.

Reactions: wozdods

wozdods

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
@Darkbreeze All I've read so far has corroborated what you just said. Most tests and comparisons have concluded the same. I would like to hear from someone who actually works with the softwares above to give their input, but mostly just for reassurance since RTX seem to be the way to go right now.

Thanks for your reply!

The primary considerations for all of those applications are OpenGL 3.0 or higher, and in some cases, CUDA. The RTX cards fully support up to OpenGL 4.6 and CUDA, as well as having ray tracing support which many of the workstation cards will lack. For a 3d or game developer, I can't see there being anything on a workstation card, for those applications, that offers it any benefit over an RTX card. Some high end CAD and 3D applications DO have driver requirements that either require or work better with a specific type of workstation card but the applications listed are quite compatible with RTX and even Nvidia 1000 series cards. Probably even a 900 series card would be fine, but I'd stick to an RTX card.

Reactions: wozdods
Solution

TRENDING THREADS