GPU running at constant 82 degrees Celsius while gaming

williamchung2405

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
My GPU (EVGA Gtx 1060 6gb non oc(the one with the worse heatsink)) is constantly running at a temperature of 82 degrees Celsius while gaming with a 92% fan speed. I'm not sure whether or not this is safe or normal. My CPU and other parts seem to be fine and looks to be just my GPU. I just want to know whether or not this is safe and normal and if there is anything I could do to reduce the temperature. Also, I have already set custom fan curves. Thanks!

Solution
Your case looks perfect for the job. 2 intake fans on the front (providing they are installed) and exhaust at the back, plus CPU cooler. I doubt it case temps are causing the issue.

Hmmm. Have you checked the fans are spinning on the GPU. I know that sounds obvious, and the monitoring software is telling you they are. Maybe just double check.
It's safe, within parameters. It's a little high, specially with a 92% fan curve. That sucker must be loud :(. I've almost the same GPU, mines a EVGA Dual OC. I play games like BF1, CODWW2, Wolfenstein at high/ultra settings and the max it will go is 65c. This as stock settings of course.

Do you have good air intake from the front of the chassis helping with air flow. And a rear exhaust? If not look at that. The max for the GPU is 90c at which point it will start to throttle or just crash out of a game.

See about airflow first, then maybe consider replacing the thermal paste on the GPU, or a new fan. and if you haven't tried it already just give the fan a good clear out with compressed air to make sure it's clean.

Hmm. That won't help much. It's not really getting to the cause of the issue. Make sure you have the most up to date driver for the GPU, and other system components too! Try a bio update, that may help also.

After trying those things, maybe look at having the thermal paste on the GPU replaced. Its not an easy thing to do, but with a bit of research is doable, and something i've done myself.

Run an instance of HWMon in the backround while playing a game, then alt-tab out of it and take a screenshot of HWmon so we can see what's happening with your hardware as the high temps hit.

BTW, the most obvious question, are you OC the GPU?

williamchung2405

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017

No, I’m running everything at stock settings besides a custom fan curve. It’s just that my version of the card has a low quality heat sink.

williamchung2405

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017

I usually don’t oc my things. I just use it straight out of the box cause being someone like me, I don’t wanna risk it. Also, I use the zalman Z1 neo case.

Your case looks perfect for the job. 2 intake fans on the front (providing they are installed) and exhaust at the back, plus CPU cooler. I doubt it case temps are causing the issue.

Hmmm. Have you checked the fans are spinning on the GPU. I know that sounds obvious, and the monitoring software is telling you they are. Maybe just double check.

Solution