Question GPU running at idle clocks while playing League of Legends

wuffll

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
Hi everyone!

For the past few weeks I had some interesting problems while playing League of Legends.

What happens is, I load up in to the game and I look at the core clock the GPU is running at and see that it's running in the range of 300-500 MHz during the whole game. I tried changing the resolution, tried playing in borderless and windowed, but to no avail. This issue causes the FPS to drop drastically during the game(For reference, I could easily run the game at +300 FPS with my settings, but since this issue I get around 100-140 with frequent drops below 50; even though it does say that it's over 100 it still feels stuttery).

This issue is only present in League of Legends. If I try to run a more GPU demanding game such as Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, the GPU reaches it's max clock and runs normally without any stutters.

My PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB
PSU: FSP Hyper S 600W
RAM: 2 x 4GB HyperX Fury 2133MHz

Thank you all in advance for taking your time to help me out with my problem!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
LoL is a CPU heavy game.
What is your CPU usage while playing?

As it stands, you are running the slowest possible speed RAM on a Ryzen CPU which equates to poor CPU performance because of the Infinity Fabric technology that AMD uses in their Ryzen CPU's.
And you only have 8GB of RAM which is kind of on the minimum side of things in terms of system requirements for games, even seemingly low spec games like LoL.

But that aside, check your CPU usage while playing LoL

Also, what are you using to look at the information for your GPU while playing LoL.
Are you using software like RivaTuner to produce an in game overlay?
Or are you playing windowed mode?
Or are you switching out to another piece of software that reports info like Ryzen Master, or MSI Afterburner?
Or do you have another monitor that you look over at while playing with software that shows stats?

wuffll

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
LoL is a CPU heavy game.
What is your CPU usage while playing?

As it stands, you are running the slowest possible speed RAM on a Ryzen CPU which equates to poor CPU performance because of the Infinity Fabric technology that AMD uses in their Ryzen CPU's.
And you only have 8GB of RAM which is kind of on the minimum side of things in terms of system requirements for games, even seemingly low spec games like LoL.

But that aside, check your CPU usage while playing LoL

Also, what are you using to look at the information for your GPU while playing LoL.
Are you using software like RivaTuner to produce an in game overlay?
Or are you playing windowed mode?
Or are you switching out to another piece of software that reports info like Ryzen Master, or MSI Afterburner?
Or do you have another monitor that you look over at while playing with software that shows stats?
Cpu usage stays around 50%. For monitoring, I use hwinfo and look at it on my second monitor while playing the game fullscreen on the other. RAM stays around 80% with Discord and Opera running(now I close them because of the issue even though it doesnt change much).

wuffll

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
I just realized that I forgot to add that I also tried reinstalling the game and windows and none of them worked. I'll try it again and let you all know.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I recommend maxing out the settings completely so that more load gets put on the GPU.

And invest in some 3200 MHz CL16 memory as soon as possible, that RAM is not ideal at all for a Ryzen.

wuffll

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
I have planned on upgrading the RAM later down the road as the performance I'm getting right now is alright for my needs(I usually have it overclocked to 2666MHz cl14 which is stable).

As for maxing out the settings, I have tried that also and it boosts the clock to around 700 MHz but the fps still remains low...

The game was running alright but all of a sudden(3 weeks ago) I was getting low fps(even though nothing changed). At first I thought it was a bug, but then I asked my friends and they all said that it's fine for them.