News GPU sales saw 32% year-over-year increase in Q4 — AMD's market share rises to 19%

Apr 1, 2020
I think most people are pretty far from being "pretty damn happy" but it's at the point where upgrading is necessary for anything older than RTX, so people are paying the price under protest. Even Turing is showing its age, fairly badly, especially with RT enabled.

Reactions: bigdragon

MatheusNRei

Great
Jan 15, 2024
I think most people are pretty far from being "pretty damn happy" but it's at the point where upgrading is necessary for anything older than RTX, so people are paying the price under protest. Even Turing is showing its age, fairly badly, especially with RT enabled.
I'd suggest holding out a little while longer for anyone still waiting to pull the trigger on an update, AMD should be releasing their new gen of GPUs some time this year and NVIDIA is bound to have something in the works too.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Apr 1, 2020
I'd suggest holding out a little while longer for anyone still waiting to pull the trigger on an update, AMD should be releasing their new gen of GPUs some time this year and NVIDIA is bound to have something in the works too.

I wouldn't expect to see anything on shelves before next year, and I wouldn't advise anyone to buy any GPU right now unless they absolutely had to.

Wow, that's a massive in Radeon market share compared to last year's Q1 estimate. Hopefully it keeps up and Radeon manages to hit 40% within five years.

This would be a good thing for ALL consumers because it means that nVidia won't be feeling so invincible anymore.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I doubt there has been any point in Nvidia's history when they have cared less about the gaming market than right now. The 4090 isn't still selling so far over MSRP this late in its life because of demand from gamers.

cronik93

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
The VRAM size's and price vs. performance spoke to people and they heard. :wink:

Most games that have DLSS also have FSR. If you know what you're doing you can mitigate the negatives of FSR upscaling by using VSR. If the VSR resolution is high enough, most of the time it looks just as good the VSR resolution you're using. At 1080p I do anywhere from 4k, 5k, and 6k VSR. 5k and 6k VSR look good with just about any FSR setting.

I'm talking mostly about people who have or are interested buying a RX 6800 or better though. Also people with 1080p and 1440p monitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow
The VRAM size's and price vs. performance spoke to people and they heard. :wink:

Most games that have DLSS also have FSR. If you know what you're doing you can mitigate the negatives of FSR upscaling by using VSR. If the VSR resolution is high enough, most of the time it looks just as good the VSR resolution you're using. At 1080p I do anywhere from 4k, 5k, and 6k VSR. 5k and 6k VSR look good with just about any FSR setting.

I'm talking mostly about people who have or are interested buying a RX 6800 or better though. Also people with 1080p and 1440p monitors.
The thing is that while nVidia's "Ace in the hole" is ray-tracing, every poll that I've seen shows that an overwhelming majority of gamers (>75%) either don't care or think that it's not worth it. I personally don't care because when I'm playing a first-person shooter, I'm focused on battle, not my personal opinion on how life-like the shadows appear to be or whether I think that the sun is reflecting properly off of a body of water.

To me, RT is nothing more than a frill, something that is pretty and all, but adds nothing significant to my gaming experience because games these days all look pretty enough as it is.