[SOLVED] GPU short sharp loud clicks

Mar 4, 2020
Hi, just signed up today but I've been looking around here to find people with a similar issue that I have. I haven't found anything on the internet that falls into line with my problem though. So recently I installed a new motherboard, cpu and ram and kept my old PSU as it's a decent 500w corsair power supply that does the job. I also haven't upgraded my graphics card yet, I have a GTX 1060 3gb Windforce OC edition. I'm not sure if I've been having this issue for awhile as I've only really noticed it in the past month or so, but I've heard short, sharp and loud clicks from my pc. At first I thought it could be one of my HDDs, maybe? I tried to isolating this by performing HDD stress tests, shutting down and booting up my pc, and listened to the harddrives when opening up files stored from them and that's not where the clicking seems to be coming from. Next I thought it could be my power supply. Again, I tried to find where the click was coming from by disconnecting my hdds, powering on and off my pc and listening closely to where the sound could be coming from. I ran cinebench and furmark benchmarks to see if power consumption was the issue, but no. After running cinebench and hearing nothing, GPU intensive tests seem to be the issue. Specifically though it's only when i close furmark, or any game that uses the GPU heavily for that matter. No clicking when booting up a game, during gameplay or anything like that, only when I close a game or anything thats using the GPU.

I'm really dumbfounded by this issue, if it's even an issue at all. I am positive that it is my GPU as i cannot hear the sound coming from anywhere else. I hear the loud, sharp clicking whenever I close a game or quit anything that is GPU heavy. I have a feeling it could be something to do with the temperature of the card but I really can't say for sure. I am going to keep on testing to see if it is any other component in my pc but I am almost certain it's my GPU.

Solution
Possibly video card fan(s) noise due to the sudden drop in speed from high (full) down to slow which causes slight radial movement in the fan's bearing.
Or, the fan(s) may suddenly move back/up slightly along their axis to their slow speed/ resting position.
Or, the "case" that surrounds the card fans might move slightly due to variations in air flow due to fan speeds.
Or, the fan blades might make slight brief contact with the fan case.

The click noise is unlikely to be due to an electrical/electronic component as there are no high voltages on the video card. Nor is there anything else that might make a clicking noise.

So the clicking noise I don't believe is of real concern. If the clicking noise is annoying, maybe the fans could be...
Possibly video card fan(s) noise due to the sudden drop in speed from high (full) down to slow which causes slight radial movement in the fan's bearing.
Or, the fan(s) may suddenly move back/up slightly along their axis to their slow speed/ resting position.
Or, the "case" that surrounds the card fans might move slightly due to variations in air flow due to fan speeds.
Or, the fan blades might make slight brief contact with the fan case.

The click noise is unlikely to be due to an electrical/electronic component as there are no high voltages on the video card. Nor is there anything else that might make a clicking noise.

So the clicking noise I don't believe is of real concern. If the clicking noise is annoying, maybe the fans could be replaced(?) Otherwise maybe get another video card.

Solution