Question GPU Strange Artifacts in some games

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Hello everyone! I have a AMD RX 580 8GB Sapphire Nitro+ (no overclock, no custom tuning) and in some games like Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part 1, Forza Horizon 3, 4, 5, Counter Strike 2 and probably others, there are some weird artifacts that are not very visible at first glance, however it is starting to worry me. I will attach a screenshot here. Also, this is my complete setup:
CPU: Intel Core i3-12100
GPU: AMD RX 580 8GB Sapphire Nitro+
RAM: Kingston Fury 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz with XMP profile activated
SSD: 1TB NVME drive
PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 650W

I noticed these effects usually appear on foliage, water, smoke and ambient occlusion from certain angles. Could anyone offer some explanation? I tried reinstalling the OS and the drivers but same problem. In some other games it does not happen at all. Here are some screenshots: Screenshots Ghost Of Tsushima.

Solution
Hello.
I would like to remind you guys that the card we are talking about, practically have no more support.
Newer drivers are not designated for them.
All you can find in newer drivers are some patches they make for some games, as a result of feedback from users.
So in this case, since the card is not broken at a hardware level, i would suggest to send the feedback to AMD about those errors.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
But it does happen in other games, yes?

If it is one game, limited to a single aspect of the game. Say the water modeling, then it is likely a game/driver issue that you should report directly to the game developers. I believe AMD has stopped updating the drivers for your GPU, or will soon.

If it were screen wide and consistent, it would be the VRAM going bad, or a loose connection in the GPU slot. (if you haven't tried a re-seat, do that, you would be surprised how often that takes care of weird graphics problems)

Reactions: drivinfast247

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
But it does happen in other games, yes?

If it is one game, limited to a single aspect of the game. Say the water modeling, then it is likely a game/driver issue that you should report directly to the game developers. I believe AMD has stopped updating the drivers for your GPU, or will soon.

If it were screen wide and consistent, it would be the VRAM going bad, or a loose connection in the GPU slot. (if you haven't tried a re-seat, do that, you would be surprised how often that takes care of weird graphics problems)
I think it's safe to say that it appears often enough in newer games. I played Dying Light a lot and I never seen these artifacts, which is a game from 2015. Could the display port be also a problem? I bought this GPU from the used market last year, so I'm not sure if the seller knew anything about this back then. When I tested the GPU everything was fine. I'll try to do a re-seat.

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Cable/Port would be a cheap check.

I would just start building a budget to replace it sooner rather than later. RX6600 is still pretty reasonable new. Used they can be quite cheap.
Ok, so I tried to do a re-seat, but the problem still exists. What is very strange is that in Forza Horizon 3 I fixed the problem by disabling "Surface Format Optimization", but is still present in other games, and it happens near complex models like water or small detailed objects with ambient occlusion, and it always happens when viewing from a distance. When I move closer to that area, the glitches/artifacts disappear. Still, I'll be looking to buy a new GPU.

Apr 19, 2024
Hello.
I would like to remind you guys that the card we are talking about, practically have no more support.
All you can find in newer drivers are some patches they make for some games, as a result of feedback from users.
So in this case, since the card is not broken at a hardware level, i would suggest to send the feedback to AMD about those errors.

Solution

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Hello.
Yeah, I think you are right. I could not reproduce the same glitches in any benchmark I ran, so it's not on a hardware level.