Question GPU stuck at 100% after being under load for 2 minutes-ish

Jan 15, 2021
Hiya all,

I don't want to be here a million years typing an explanation here as I have been trying to fix this all day.

I bought an RTX 2070 SUPER from eBay the other day, bare in mind it was explained as running fine and he has had NO problems with it, to play VR on my PC. The running of the game itself and everything is running flawlessly, although once I am in a VR game for a couple minutes or so my GPU suddenly sets itself it what seems to be 100% fan speed (I can tell that because it sounds like a jet engine).

I just wanted you guys/gals opinions on what I could try next. I have used DDU to do a complete driver uninstall and then reinstalled the recommended drivers (standalone not geforce experience) using NVIDIA's website, I have also re-sitted the GPU power connectors several times.

Ya boy just wants to play VR... let me know where I could go next in the regard of trying to fix this - thanks.

Jan 15, 2021
Their really nothing to try except better case airflow.

Your card gets stressed by VR, temp goes up, fan speed goes up to cool the card

Oh sorry I didn't mention the card is at max 45 degrees the entire time... I was checking.

This completely rules out temps being a problem as well as the fact that the fans go to 100 percent speed in 1/2 a second.

Jan 15, 2021
Checking with what while the VR is running.

That is not a normal temp for a card under load that is more like a idle temp.

Oh yeah I was checking I was not sure the exact temps but I know for a fact it was not hot enough to be at 100 percent fan speed - another thing to, when I download MSI AB and try to change the fan speed back down it does not apply... not matter what I do.

Jan 15, 2021
I missed the screenshot but I was just in a level on Blade & Sorcery and the temp was 54c when the fans ramped up to 100. I am in the process of reinstalling windows to see if that does anything at all.