Question Gpu stuck at 139mhz core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2024
My gtx 1060 6gb gpu is just stuck at 139mhz core, and even the 405mhz memory clock is stuck and i can't get control over it, not even with MSI Afterburner nor GPU Tweaks 3 From Asus
Sometimes, rarely i have 1506mhz core clock then just 30 seconds later it turns back down to 139mhz and the memory clock from 4000mhz goes to 405mhz.
Please suggests any possible fix into this issue. thanks

Solution
Update: The problem was the PCIE slot, and now the GPU runs at its required power, PSU or any other stuff wasnt related anything, it was just the GPU slot so i just got a new motherboard

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First off, we're going to need to know the specs to your system. Secondly, have you tried using DDU to remove your GPU drivers then manually reinstalling with the latest GPU drivers sourced off of Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jan 1, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First off, we're going to need to know the specs to your system. Secondly, have you tried using DDU to remove your GPU drivers then manually reinstalling with the latest GPU drivers sourced off of Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Cpu: intel pentium g3220
Ram 8gb 1333mhz
Disk: 1tb hdd, 1 700gb hdd
Gpu: gtx 1060 6gb

I have tried all the basics solutions like DDU, debug mode, updating bios etc.

The specs may seem like it can't run the clock im asking for, but I've had it run on 1506core clock for 2 days before it went to be stucked on 139mhz, which means, i could probably run my gpu on some like 700-800 core clock, It is just that i can't control the power of the gpu

My understanding is you are overclocking?
If so your overclock is unstable.
If Nvidia drivers detect errors it will down clock the card to a slow default speed. Varies by card.
The only way to restore clocks to normal boost speeds is to reboot the computer.
The only way to stop this is to reduce clock speeds until errors stop happening.

You also did not list your power supply.
It could be the cause of errors.
Unstable power when overclocking also has this effect.
Which results in lowered clocks.

Jan 1, 2024
My understanding is you are overclocking?
If so your overclock is unstable.
If Nvidia drivers detect errors it will down clock the card to a slow default speed. Varies by card.
The only way to restore clocks to normal boost speeds is to reboot the computer.
The only way to stop this is to reduce clock speeds until errors stop happening.

You also did not list your power supply.
It could be the cause of errors.
Unstable power when overclocking also has this effect.
Which results in lowered clocks.
I have not overclocked my system, infact i even tried underclocking the gpu which still wouldnt work
Also my PSU is 220V/5A/50hz

I'm fully aware of the bottlenecks i get but i just couldnt miss out the deal, atleast in my shops

This could be a sign of electrical damage. The gpu is refusing to boost properly in order to protect itself.

That's not the make an model of a psu. Example: Corsair RM750X.
Hmmm, odd situation that's for sure. I'm definitely thinking PSU but....doesn't quite fit the symptoms. It presents like a software or driver issue..... unsure.

Edit:

"Also my PSU is 220V/5A/50hz

I'm fully aware of the bottlenecks i get but i just couldnt miss out the deal, atleast in my shops"

I don't like this. Clarify on PSU brand and specifications please. If this is an extreme budget or off brand PSU...REPLACE REGARDLESS. These things are a bloody hazard to your home and...aliveness.

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
the 106 powers its speed down to that low speed when only using desktop, its power saving.. it will boost to its clock speed when gaming.. run "GPU-Z" and it will show the speed of the card.. if it reads higher/ normal speed. then your card is fine.. you can also run the "pci-e test option on GPU-z ... its the "?" icon next to where it shows your pci-e connection speed.. . then run afterburner and see if it shows your card boosting properly. .. you could take screenshot and post here to show the findings

Jan 1, 2024
Hello sorry for taking long, i was busy irl
my psu is ATX-500W

the 106 powers its speed down to that low speed when only using desktop, its power saving.. it will boost to its clock speed when gaming.. run "GPU-Z" and it will show the speed of the card.. if it reads higher/ normal speed. then your card is fine.. you can also run the "pci-e test option on GPU-z ... its the "?" icon next to where it shows your pci-e connection speed.. . then run afterburner and see if it shows your card boosting properly. .. you could take screenshot and post here to show the findings
I did try to do it, but i didn't know when it will end or what is good or bad results, do you mind explaining it?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024
Yikes. It's a piece of crap, far from an actual 500w unit; it maxes at 276w on the +12v rail - IF that anymore, as psus age over time.

Gpu's likely protecting itself from that thing.
Cool, came here to comment about my hardware instead of giving a possible solution.
On the right side bottom, it's quite blurry from the light but it says there 'MAX POWER: 500W'

if you're skeptical, i will take another picture

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cool, came here to comment about my hardware instead of giving a possible solution.
On the right side bottom, it's quite blurry from the light but it says there 'MAX POWER: 500W'

if you're skeptical, i will take another picture
I'm not skeptical, and I'm not trying to slam or insult you over your hardware.
The psu really is crap. That's the only part that was called out. I'm not the only one here who would throw words at the psu either; if anything, I'm being subtle compared to others(this is supposed to be a family friendly site).

The +12v rail is the source of power for the gpu. It doesn't use the +5, nor the +3.3.
If you look beneath that on the label, it displays: +12v 276w(MAX). Then there's the fact that psus age over time; what they can handle and output goes down.

If I add the 180w from the other 2 rails, it's still not 500w max; it stops at 456w...

Max power is 500 watt if you count the 3.3 and 5v lines.
Almost all new motherboards/video cards/computers get the majority of their power from the 12v line.
Usb/SATA and minor rails on some add in cards use 3.3 or 5v. But very little.

it is a 10-year old design at least.

We are not here to put down or belittle/insult you or your hardware in any way.
The power supply you have is of the very lowest quality.
The have a reputation that when they fail they destroy other components connected to it.
If your power supply is putting out wildly fluctuating voltages because it is getting close to its 12v limit it can cause crashes /blue screens and damage the card over time.
You have saved and built yourself a good gaming computer. But that power supply could take it away any day.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jan 1, 2024
Max power is 500 watt if you count the 3.3 and 5v lines.
Almost all new motherboards/video cards/computers get the majority of their power from the 12v line.
Usb/SATA and minor rails on some add in cards use 3.3 or 5v. But very little.

it is a 10-year old design at least.

We are not here to put down or belittle/insult you or your hardware in any way.
The power supply you have is of the very lowest quality.
The have a reputation that when they fail they destroy other components connected to it.
If your power supply is putting out wildly fluctuating voltages because it is getting close to its 12v limit it can cause crashes /blue screens and damage the card over time.
You have saved and built yourself a good gaming computer. But that power supply could take it away any day.
I apologize for the false accusation of insulting, i see my mistake after the information, i will take the PSU into consideration to switch it
Can you also tell me If this PSU: CMPSU-750TX Corsair Power Supply is enough for my computer? I had it on an old Computer and decided to Salvage it long ago but didn't bother to fix it until now

Also i would like to know how the PSU volt lines work because i never knew them honestly, thanks

that is a very good power supply with all protections enabled.
Much better.

The different designs make it a little hard to post it all here.
Older designs were group regulated. Meaning if the 12v line was low it upped 12v along with 3.3&5v putting the 3.3&5v out of spec. with too high of voltage.

Newer designs convert to 12v first, then convert the 12v down to 3.3v and 5v and have their full wattage available on the 12v line.
An introduction article to get you started.
And a little more detailed look at them.
https://my.avnet.com/abacus/solutio...he-design-engineers-guide/power-supply-design

Jan 1, 2024
that is a very good power supply with all protections enabled.
Much better.

The different designs make it a little hard to post it all here.
Older designs were group regulated. Meaning if the 12v line was low it upped 12v along with 3.3&5v putting the 3.3&5v out of spec. with too high of voltage.

Newer designs convert to 12v first, then convert the 12v down to 3.3v and 5v and have their full wattage available on the 12v line.
An introduction article to get you started.
And a little more detailed look at them.
https://my.avnet.com/abacus/solutio...he-design-engineers-guide/power-supply-design
Thank you for the information.

1 last question, i tested the Corsair psu that i asked, it was all good, the fan was spinning but it refused to give a display to the monitor, i put back in the old psu and it gave a display like usual, do you know any cause into this?

Make sure the PCIE power cable is properly installed to the video card and power supply.
Monitor connected to video card not motherboard?

Also check the bios battery. If it is dead or weak the bios can lose its setting and revert to motherboard graphics as first boot device ,and monitor connected to video card will only show after windows has booted.
Could of lost settings when changing power supply.

You test this by booting with monitor connected to motherboard .
If it boots with display change video boot option to PCI/PCIE or PEG, which ever your bios labels it.
And replace the battery if this is the problem.

Jan 1, 2024
Update: The problem was the PCIE slot, and now the GPU runs at its required power, PSU or any other stuff wasnt related anything, it was just the GPU slot so i just got a new motherboard

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.