GPU Suddenly became hotter?

tangman0930

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hello,

I own a Nvidia EVGA GeForce GTX 560 ti (SC) and under idle conditions, my GPU runs at 30-35 degrees C and under load it maxes out at 60-65 degrees C. However, just this past week it's now idling at 50-55 degrees and maxing out at 80-85 degrees C. I know that this is still kinda safe, but why the sudden jump in temperature?

This is starting to worry me. I have installed all the recent drivers, reseated the GPU, and blown all the dust out with compressed air. I have a feeling that this temperature increase somehow has to be related with trying to clean it with the compressed air can. Have I possibly blown something out of place???

My PC is currently:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.2 Ghz
Mobo: MSI P67-GD65 (B3)
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 ti (Super Clocked)
Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) G.Skill Sniper Series 1600
HDD: 1TB - Samsung SpinPoint F3
Case: Corsair 500R (BLK)
PSU: Corsair TX850 V2
Monitor: 24" Sony Playstation 3D LED Display 240Hz and 23" Acer LED something
HS: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

tangman0930

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
The GPU fan is working properly and the room temperature is staying at a constant 70-72F. When i look at the GPU meter, it says my clock speed and shader value are both zero.

xFriarx

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Do you run multiple monitors? Sometimes the GPU might not down clock correctly when using multiple displays.

Edit: I see you do have multiple monitors listed. So that seems like it might be the case. Use MSI Afterburner/EVGA Percision tool to confirm. If you want you can google nvidia multi-monitor hack for a fix, or you can try to update/reinstall the drivers using a clean install, which worked for me on my 670.

It wouldn't be that, since the temps at load are also higher. Check to make sure the fans are working, and check to see if you didn't change the fan profile settings. You might also want to take a compressed can of air to it to clean it out some and make sure nothing is blocking airflow. Some cases have air filters, and it is possible they are clogged or blocked.

That is my first thought as well.

tangman0930

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
OK...I have just uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers and that fixed the problem LOL. My GPU runs at 30-35 degrees C and under load it maxes out at 60-65 degrees C. HOWEVER, the fan is actually starting to do its job for some reason thus making my GPU louder. It's not too bad, but I just do not remember the fan speed ever increasing. In idle conditions the fan spins at 30% of max speed and even under load that does not go up. Now, idle the fan speed is 41% and under load it spins at about 55-60% max speed. Any suggestions or should I just leave it as is.