GPU switching to onboard graphics.

slyze

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
Hello everyone. I recenlty build up a new machine for casual usage but I installed my old 6770 in it. The problem is I have an Asus M5A87 as my motherboard I tried to set my gpu as the primary boot graphics processor, but the weirdest thing is happening. When my pc starts it transmits through the hdmi (so through the gpu) to my tv but after a while the signal stops and switches to vga (which i have plugged into the onboard graphics unit). I've tried using only one cable at a time but still it's the same. If i use hdmi i get no picture and if I use my vga cable i wait a while and pc starts with the onboard graphics. So i would liek to know if I install the drivers of the gpu would it change anything? Or is it a motherboard problem.

Solution
the drivers would probably make a large difference. also you can probably disable the integrated graphics in device manger, but first get the drivers.

Cats869

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
First, go to your motherboard, and make sure your video source is selecting the PCI/video card source and not the onboard integrated video. After that, like what Robert said earlier, install and update those drivers.