[SOLVED] GPU Temp Spiking into 80's and 90's

Mar 24, 2020
Amidst all of the craziness going on I had to move my tower out of my dorm and back home. During the drive, the tower was knocked by other luggage in the car and fell on its side. Now, I am noticing frame drops of around 10FPS, very loud fans, and temps spiking into the 80's and 90's when trying to play any sort of graphically intensive game; the spikes usually occur almost instantaneously from 50-70 or 80.

I ran Afterburner and found that all fans were running at around 1000RPM during the game; GPU Heatsink running around 4000 RPM. I set the fan speeds up and that made no effect. I have two case fans and two fans on the GPU. My room is not necessarily hot.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for troubleshooting this? I already cleaned the fans to ensure there was little dust in them; didn't make too much of a difference.

CPU: Intel i5-8600k 3.6GHz
MB: Gigabyte Z370 HD3
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060
RAM: 8GB

Last edited:
Solution
It could be anything that sits in the motherboard - heck, even the motherboard itself can be damaged by gpus and cpu coolers being rocked around for a period of time with the motherboard being the tether...

If you're sure it's only the gpu... you may have to take it apart, so you can check if the fan power cables haven't loosened, or something else hasn't done the same, or got knocked off entirely.

It would be a good idea to take it all apart and reconnect it again just to make sure nothing else that you can see came loose, and to check if the motherboard is warped anywhere.
Mar 24, 2020
Please tell me you at least took out the parts that sit in/on the motherboard - or put some kind of foam in, or SOMETHING, to keep those parts from moving around - before transporting...
I was not really thinking clearly about doing that. I was being booted off campus and incredibly anxious due to this whole situation. Doesn't excuse it, obviously. You think the GPU hardware took a hit?

I am fine with replacing the GPU due to my own stupidity, but is there any way to see if it is ONLY the GPU that is the problem here? No other parts of the PC face temperature issues.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It could be anything that sits in the motherboard - heck, even the motherboard itself can be damaged by gpus and cpu coolers being rocked around for a period of time with the motherboard being the tether...

If you're sure it's only the gpu... you may have to take it apart, so you can check if the fan power cables haven't loosened, or something else hasn't done the same, or got knocked off entirely.

It would be a good idea to take it all apart and reconnect it again just to make sure nothing else that you can see came loose, and to check if the motherboard is warped anywhere.

Solution
Never transport a PC tower vertically. 1 bump in the road and all that force is put on the stuff inside your PC like the CPU heatsink and the GPU PCie slot.

Like Phaaze88 said. Remove everything and build that PC again like it was the first time you build it. If something came loose you will see and it will fix the issue.

Mar 24, 2020

That's the thing.... I don't know if it was just the GPU. I assume that's what it was given the fact that the GPU is spiking in temp from watching YouTube videos and playing games. Will take apart in the morning and reconvene.
Never transport a PC tower vertically. 1 bump in the road and all that force is put on the stuff inside your PC like the CPU heatsink and the GPU PCie slot.

Like Phaaze88 said. Remove everything and build that PC again like it was the first time you build it. If something came loose you will see and it will fix the issue.
Lesson learned. Like I said, this was really last minute and hectic.

That's the thing.... I don't know if it was just the GPU. I assume that's what it was given the fact that the GPU is spiking in temp from watching YouTube videos and playing games. Will take apart in the morning and reconvene.

Lesson learned. Like I said, this was really last minute and hectic.

I totally understand don't worry. I hope you reseating everything will fix your issue and if it's not we will still be here ready to help you :)

Reactions: Phaaze88
Mar 24, 2020
I totally understand don't worry. I hope you reseating everything will fix your issue and if it's not we will still be here ready to help you :)

Hey there. Finally had time to reseat everything.

GPU was still having issues. Ended up taking the GPU out of the case and took it apart to make sure that everything was connected properly; blew dust out of the heatsink & fans and reapplied the thermal paste. Methinks somehow the heatsink was no longer touching the GPU after the knock to the case. Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS