GPU temps up by 10°C after installing a bottom intake fan below the GPU

RJH6

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Hey guys! I just got 2 more fans for my Define R5 case, 2 Fractal Venturi AF-14's. I installed one as back exhaust and one as bottom intake next to the PSU, below the GPU (GTX 970 from Asus). I have 2 Fractal GP-14 fans as intake in the front.

So, after installing that bottom intake, my GPU temps went up by 10°C (Normally 67°C, now 77-80°C). What the hell?

RJH

RJH6

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
The PSU fan is pointing down! So what you're saying is that my bottom exhaust is sucking in the hot air of the PSU and throwing it in to the GPU?

So basically turning the PSU so that it would suck air from the GPU would be better? Or moving the bottom intake to the top as exhaust?

RJH

1) Don't move the PSU.

2) Bottom intake vs PSU

Update: it should actually be the same direction, though if it's running a lot faster it may affect air flow through the PSU oddly. Still, not sure why that would affect GPU temp that much.

3) Ideally you would have a side fan for the GPU as the closer you are the more it matters. The distances you are mean that added fan likely won't make much overall difference to cooling so seeing as you have two front intake fans already sure go ahead and move it as a top exhaust if you want.

As you can see here:

psu_front_top.jpg

The PSU fan blows air into the PSU which then is forced out thru the back of the case... it is not blowing air out thru the bottom unless they built it wrong..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352049

Front: 2 – 120/140 mm fans (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
Rear: 1 – 120/140 mm fan (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
Top: 3 - 120/140 mm fan (not included)
Bottom: 2 – 120/140 mm fan (not included)
Side: 1 – 120/140 mm fan (not included)

As the case came with a rear fan, and only fits one rear fan, I don't quite understand how you added one unless you first moved that one to the front.

W/o doing a fog test, or seeing a pic, it's difficult to get an idea of what's going on but I can only guess that you have somehow created turbulence to shifted things around such that you created a dead zone under the card. I normally use a fan installed on the back of the HD cage blowing between the two cards on an SLI setup but I have not seen the result you have encountered before. I hate to ask but are you sure the fan is blowing In ?

The PSU in the above pic is upside down, so if you look down at the fan you installed and the blades look like that, its blowing down. The blades should look like when you cup your hand to sip water out of it.

If you look down and see this, turn it over
PH-F140SP-1.jpg

if you look down and see this, you're good
PH-F140SP-2z.jpg