[SOLVED] GPU throttling at lower than expected temperatures?

Planet_Noob

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Hey guys, I own this laptop with the following specs:

-CPU: Intel i7-7700 HQ

-GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Max-Q 8 gb

-RAM: x2 16 gb DDR4 @ 2400 MHz

Recently, I've been experiencing massive FPS drops in every game I play. I've never had this happen and it only started around a week ago. I've been monitoring my computer at it seems like my GPU has been throttling as it reaches ~80C. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't laptop GPU's able to handle temperatures around the low 80's? Or is my GPU dying? Here's a GPU-z log of what's going on (downloading the file should fix the formatting error in the preview).

Solution
I've had the laptop for ~3 years

When was the last time you serviced your laptop? By service, i mean cleaning it's internals from dust. Also, laptops use thermal pads to transfer heat from CPU/GPU die to the heatsink, rather than thermal paste. Most of the times, those thermal pads can be quite thick, lowering the heat transfer, especially when it has some years on it. Here, replacing the thermal padding usually improves the thermal conductivity and in turn - cooling of the CPU/GPU die as well.

Planet_Noob

Prominent
Aug 12, 2019
Desktop GPUs, are yes, able to handle around 80C. However, laptops have far worse cooling and it is very likely that laptop OEM has lowered the throttle target due to this. That's why you're seeing GPU throttle at lower temps than in most desktop PCs.
Oh okay, might be confusing the throttle points with those of CPUs then. Any idea why it started recently? I've had the laptop for ~3 years with no problems until last week

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I've had the laptop for ~3 years

When was the last time you serviced your laptop? By service, i mean cleaning it's internals from dust. Also, laptops use thermal pads to transfer heat from CPU/GPU die to the heatsink, rather than thermal paste. Most of the times, those thermal pads can be quite thick, lowering the heat transfer, especially when it has some years on it. Here, replacing the thermal padding usually improves the thermal conductivity and in turn - cooling of the CPU/GPU die as well.

Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
I am with Aeacus on the cleaning part. I had a ROG Asus laptop a couple of years ago that did something pretty similar. I had to pull the bottom plate off and use pressured air to clean out the heat pipes and cooling fins from the back side. Lint and crap will build up over time inside of the laptop and has to be cleaned even though it isn't visible from the outside. Thermal throttling happens very rapidly and maintains the ceiling temp so your fps are indicative of cooling issues. Sometimes you can blow it out from the outside. Sometimes you aren't that lucky.