Question GPU under utilization issues

Aug 10, 2024
I am trying to find a solution for a buddy that bought a brand new Asus ROG Zephyrus G16 GU605MI laptop. We are trying to play 7 days to die but he can get better than 20FPS with even the lowest graphic settings. 7dtd does not need much for graphics so it isn't making sense to either of us. The CPU is only running at 3-4% and GPU at 30-40%. From what I have experienced, on a desktop, GPU should run in the 99% when gaming. Is this not the case in laptops? is there anything he can safely do to improve in game performance? Seems odd that a brand new 2024 gaming laptop is struggling so much with a game that has low requirements.

Aug 10, 2024
all drivers install from the asus homepage?
mobile drivers can be troublesome

be sure the correct gpu is being used while gaming
right click on the game and select run at high performance

cpuld be a win11 issue, try compatibility mode windows 10 or 8
he cant seem to find the option to run in high performance. is there maybe another way of doing that

Is the laptop plugged in? If not it will revert to much less aggressive clocks. Also understand that many laptops by major OEMs utilize a six axis controller that will limit clock speeds on the GPU when the laptop is moved. I have no idea why this is, but I went down a rabbit hole chasing an issue on one of my machines only to discover this buried in several layers of Dell/Acer/Nvidia/Intel forums. It turns out both my Dell and Acer gaming laptops exhibit this behaviour (i5 10300H/RTX3050 75W, i913900HX/RTX4060 140W. Additionally it is not always recommended to have the GPU at full utilization, especially in thermally constrained applications such as laptops. If the game is able to exceed the panels refresh rate (or achieves an acceptable frame rate to the users preference), cap it. This will give you some thermal headroom for both the GPU and CPU (since they share cooling in most cases). It also decreases wear and tear on the cooling fans, and decreases thermal exposure to the battery.