[SOLVED] GPU upgrade(4460+GTX1660?)

Nightspirit

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
Hi. I have a pc which needs a new gpu for 1080p gaming (i dont plan 1440), a bought it like 4-5 years ago and now looks like this:
PSU:Thermaltake Berlin 630W
CPU:i5 4460 3.2GHZ
Mobo: Gigabyte H97-hd3
RAM:24GB ddr3 1600hmz
vga:Sapphire r9 270x 2GB
case: Coolermaster NSE-300-KWN1

So after some reading and stuff i decided to take the GTX 1660 Ti, or non-ti version. I also checked the radeon side but 570-580, those are a bit older hardware even if they have the power. (590 is almost the same isnt it?)
What i would like to know, are there any recommendations about the GTX? I heard it could be a bottleneck or smg because of my older processor, i just didnt feel like upgrading the whole system yet.
I dont really know todays manufacturers but maybe EVGA, Zotac, and MSI could be the winner. I was thinking of the MSI Gaming X version, because i dont want to hear coil whine or smg what maybe Gigabyte cards have nowadays.
Is the CPU really too weak already? Could it handle the GTX Ti, or i should just get the cheaper non-ti, because of bottleneck. I mean im not going to benefit of the GDDR6 and better performance because of the older CPU....

Well, sorry i tried to make this clear, so i hope smb have some time and enlighten me a bit. Have a nice day you all!
(budget:around 300-350 euros max)

Solution
While the old "you only need a quad core for gaming" died along with "8gb RAM is a good spot for gaming", the i5 is still a strong CPU. My FX-8350 was about the limit for some games with my 1060 6GB due to the single core speed (though some newer games might like the cores)the 1600 is a good value, but if I recall the 1660 ti is priced quite close to the 2060. AMD only has the 5700 series out for competition at the moment

I think your system should be able to handle a 2060/5700, unless there are some games that really like cores.

If you can find a cheap i7 to throw in there up the road it might extend the life of your motherboard. I would rate your PSU 5700 capable but not much more as it seems to not be of the highest quality with...

Nightspirit

Reputable
Aug 3, 2019
the Ti version has a slightly faster vram compared to the non ti. also more cuda cores. so it depends on u if u think faster vram is worth the moeny or not
I think it is, that was the plan, but if the processor cannot handle it good, i mean bottleneck than im not going to see a difference. Or am i wrong?

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
While the old "you only need a quad core for gaming" died along with "8gb RAM is a good spot for gaming", the i5 is still a strong CPU. My FX-8350 was about the limit for some games with my 1060 6GB due to the single core speed (though some newer games might like the cores)the 1600 is a good value, but if I recall the 1660 ti is priced quite close to the 2060. AMD only has the 5700 series out for competition at the moment

I think your system should be able to handle a 2060/5700, unless there are some games that really like cores.

If you can find a cheap i7 to throw in there up the road it might extend the life of your motherboard. I would rate your PSU 5700 capable but not much more as it seems to not be of the highest quality with limited research.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
Would be a big thing of course, but if i have bottleneck with the 1660, 1660 ti then its sure would be there with the rx5700 dont you think? My psu could handle it at least if i think about it..
"Bottleneck" comes down not only at the resolution but also the game itself, linear titles shouldn't be an issue but the CPU may struggle with newer open world style games. And even if the GPU initially isn't fully utilized you could use VSR or DSR which essentially render the game at a higher then native resolution then scale it back to your native res. Doing so will use the GPU more (reducing or eliminating the bottleneck) and can make your games look better over AA settings.
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

Also with a budget of up to 350 Euro's I get the better GPU I could afford so then when you eventually do a platform upgrade (CP/MB/RAM) you'll have a well balanced gaming system.

Last edited:
Much depends on the types of games you play.
Fast action games are the types that will benefit most from a graphics card upgrade.

Run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

You will get fair price/performance at every reasonable performance tier in graphics cards.
As to brands, I like EVGA for their usa based support and active forum.
Perhaps of more importance to you is their free 90 day upgrade plan in case you decide you need something stronger.
Read the details on their web site.