[SOLVED] GPU Upgrade - low performance

Nov 23, 2020
I just switched from gtx 960 4gb to rtx 3080 and i am not getting as much performance as i see on various videos on the internet. For example in Horizon Zero Dawn on high (not very high) preset and 1920x1080 resolution I'm getting average of 89 fps during benchmark. With much stuttering and minimum of 4 fps. During that benchmark my GPU didn't even get to 15% usage. I already tried turning of DSR, turning on XMP and intel boost mode (I'm getting around 4.2GHz). I also tried runnig DDU in safe mode and uninstalling drivers, but that didn't help at all. If that might be the case my game is installed on 5,4k RPM HDD. I'm not getting any problems with heat at all, both the cpu and gpu stay under 65 degree.

My specs are:
Motherboard: MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS
CPU: Intel i5-8600k
RAM: Kingston Hyperx 2400MHz cl15
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING x TRIO
System: Windows 10

Solution
It's not the cpu alone. You've got multiple things happening at once that's tanking performance.

If you can't afford to change any parts out just yet, then you are stuck.
You've already run DDU and updated the driver, so all that's left is a Windows reinstall and reinstalling the motherboard drivers(chipset, sata, lan, audio, etc.).
Nov 23, 2020
Honestly it's rig that i'm upgrading one part at a time so that is the reason for slow ram and hdd. System is installed on Samsung 850 PRO but it's just 256GB so i can't afford to install any games at it. The PSU i'm using is Corsair TX 750W 80 Plus Gold bought with the graphics card.

Nov 23, 2020
Right now I started testing Watch Dogs Legion and average framerate is just above 30. Changing any settings, even resolution doesn't change fps at all. Highest i got with everything low and 720p was average of 45 fps.

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
Sounds like you got a pretty bad CPU bottleneck. You will probably need to upgrade your CPU to unlock the full or close to the full potential of the 3080. In the meantime try upping your resolution and enabling raytracing, which should help your CPU bottleneck quite a bit.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You have a compounded issue, mate:
1)Cpu thread limited in the games you currently play.
2)Slow 5400rpm HDD.
3)Running a 3080 at 1080p. Can't make full use of this card at that resolution, due to the card's design.
4)Is that a single stick of ram too? If so, that makes 4.

Plus, you're changing parts a little at a time? It'll be some time before you get everything caught up...

Nov 23, 2020
I am not able to afford full gaming high end rig and I thought that upgrading gpu would be the best upgrade in this price. I am running 2 sticks of ram, which gives me 16gb. I just tested overwatch as well and seen video on youtube with same ram clocks, but 8700k instead of 8600k. And there is 100 fps difference. I'm getting around 120fps while this guy is rocking around 220. Is that really possible that this little difference in cpu is making such big impact on fps?

jblackmd

Honorable
Mar 20, 2018
Sounds like you got a pretty bad CPU bottleneck. You will probably need to upgrade your CPU to unlock the full or close to the full potential of the 3080. In the meantime try upping your resolution and enabling raytracing, which should help your CPU bottleneck quite a bit.

I agree. The CPU is underpowered, which you probably would not have noticed with the lesser GPU. Next part of the upgrade I would consider upgrading the motherboard and CPU.

Reactions: SteelStruck

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the cpu alone. You've got multiple things happening at once that's tanking performance.

If you can't afford to change any parts out just yet, then you are stuck.
You've already run DDU and updated the driver, so all that's left is a Windows reinstall and reinstalling the motherboard drivers(chipset, sata, lan, audio, etc.).

Solution

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
I am not able to afford full gaming high end rig and I thought that upgrading gpu would be the best upgrade in this price. I am running 2 sticks of ram, which gives me 16gb. I just tested overwatch as well and seen video on youtube with same ram clocks, but 8700k instead of 8600k. And there is 100 fps difference. I'm getting around 120fps while this guy is rocking around 220. Is that really possible that this little difference in cpu is making such big impact on fps?
Absolutely, especially in a CPU focused game like overwatch.

Nov 23, 2020
Will there be significant improvement if I switch to 9900k? Because I would like to avoid buying new motherboard and maybe buy new bigger ssd and ram instead.