Question Gpu usage 100% but power consumption is around 30 - 70 %. Major fps drops and pc feels sluggish

Jul 9, 2021
For like 3 days im facing a weird phenomena that my pc is not able to perform like it used to. Major fps drops in games for example i used to get around 70 - 80 fps on high settings in FARCRY 6 but not its only 25 - 30. when i installed msi afterburner and Riva tuner to see what's causing the problem i found out the Gpu usage in game is 100 % but power consumption is only 30 - 60 % and same with the Cpu, barely consuming 18 watt at 85% usage. YouTube and browsing also feels very sluggish compared to what i used to few weeks ago, same with other applications like discord.

I asked my friend to bring his rams so i can check if its a bad memory but its still the same,

updated bios nothing changed,

set the bios to optimized default nothing happened,

set nvidia control panel to performance mood also selcted "prefer maximum performance" nothing changed.

im starting to doubt its a bad psu or my gpu is dying.

heres a link of the recording (https://www.mediafire.com/file/r5aal37fucg7nbu/VID_20220115_022517.mp4/file) (the second percentage is power consumption percentage)

my specs

cpu- i5 9400f

mobo- b360m gaming hd

gpu - galax 1660ti

ram - xpg 2400mhz 8 x 2 gb

psu - thermaltake tr2s 500 watt

ssd - nvme 256 gb

hdd - 1tb segate firecuda

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022
I'm having a similar problem with mine although it doesn't happen all the time which is whats puzzling me. Is yours only happening on far cry 6 or other games as well?

Jan 15, 2022
I would assume you've checked to make sure your drivers are up to date already. My problem originally started with halo infinite campaign only and only when i went into the open world. I found out my AMD driver wasn't up to date and the driver fixed it. Mine is now only doing it occasionally in other games sometimes when i launch warzone for example pulls normal power other times it does not. I was playing earlier and i was lagging a bit saw the power draw was down from normal. Restarted pc, relaunch, still drawing about 40% lower. Just played with lower performance. Got off and was playing a few games not very high GPU dependent (rocket league, wow classic) for a few hours. Thought id try warzone again and it was pulling normal power no problems or fps drop. I just went and launched far cry 6 after your reply and that is pulling almost 50% lower than what my GPU pulls under load but mine was only getting to 90% usage and not 100 in far cry (not sure why either). I will keep you updated if i find any solutions that may help

Jul 9, 2021
I would assume you've checked to make sure your drivers are up to date already. My problem originally started with halo infinite campaign only and only when i went into the open world. I found out my AMD driver wasn't up to date and the driver fixed it. Mine is now only doing it occasionally in other games sometimes when i launch warzone for example pulls normal power other times it does not. I was playing earlier and i was lagging a bit saw the power draw was down from normal. Restarted pc, relaunch, still drawing about 40% lower. Just played with lower performance. Got off and was playing a few games not very high GPU dependent (rocket league, wow classic) for a few hours. Thought id try warzone again and it was pulling normal power no problems or fps drop. I just went and launched far cry 6 after your reply and that is pulling almost 50% lower than what my GPU pulls under load but mine was only getting to 90% usage and not 100 in far cry (not sure why either). I will keep you updated if i find any solutions that may help
i updated all the drivers, set the performance high but still cant understands whats wrong. Can bios update be the casue of it ? that bios was not beta tho and gigabyte recommended the update because of security vulnerabilities in the previous versions.
Yes please, if u get any solution please remember to reply back . I only got 3 months of warranty left in my gpu so i can apply for repair asap. I just hope its my psu so i can finally get a reason to buy a decent psu.

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Based on what you are saying, i am gonna default on PSU could be going out on you. If you can get a hold of another one for testing that would be ideal. You mentioned you tested RAM so that can be scratched off. CPU and GPU are both showing same effect so power draw seems to be the common link. Only thing i can think of atm.