Question GPU Usage drops causing stutters

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
I’ve been struggling with this issue for about 2 months now. Tried posting in another forum and got nowhere so here I am. I’ve looked this issue up a few times and haven’t found a solution that worked. I built my PC about 6 months ago, yet this issue showed up only 2 months ago.

The issue is nearly every game I play (BFV, R6S, CSGO and fortnite are especially bad) I get high frame rates and smooth gameplay, but stutters every few seconds. I have good temps (GPU: Max 73°, CPU: Max 68°) But for some reason my gpu usage drops from 98% to about 60% causing a stutter. My fps itself doesn’t seem to drop with it.

Here’s what I’ve tried:
ALL drivers are up to date
Windows up to date
I’ve messed with in game settings: nothing
I’ve monitored temps and usage (72° and 95% usage on GPU high // 65° and anywhere from 65% - 85% on cpu) again, no fps drops.
Disable / enable g-sync: nothing
ran benchmarks / stress tests on IXTU, UniHeaven and userbenchmarks, all came back positive and good
validated game files: nothing
Messed with nvidia cp: nothing

What do I do? Sometimes I can get through a whole game without any stutters and sometimes it stutter every few seconds..
Specs:
CPU: i7-8700k (Corsair H100i v2 cooler)
Mobo: Asus strix z370-e
RAM: G.skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200mhz 16gb (I turned on xmp last week no help)
GPU: Asus strix 1080 Ti
PSU: Evga 850 GQ Gold 850w
Storage: 500gb Samsung 970 evo (OS)
Seagate Fircuda 2tb (installed last month)

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
im no expert but you can do these things to check the root of your problem.

use DDU from here. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
just follow the instructions, and after you do a clean uninstall, install the latest nvidia drivers.
or do a clean install of windows.

if the problem persist, you can try these
try borrowing another GPU to test it out if it still stutters then you can eliminate an issue with your gpu.
try different set of ram.
try a different PSU of good quality. (im not saying your psu is bad, but psu problems do occur.)

Last edited:

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
im no expert but you can do these things to check the root of your problem.

use DDU from here. https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
just follow the instructions, and after you do a clean uninstall, install the latest nvidia drivers.
or do a clean install of windows.

if the problem persist, you can try these
try borrowing another GPU to test it out if it still stutters then you can eliminate an issue with your gpu.
try different set of ram.
try a different PSU of good quality. (im not saying your psu is bad, but psu problems do occur.)
I ran DDU and problem persists. I have no psu to borrow, should i take it to repair shop?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
if you have access to a reliable computer repair shop yes you can let them diagnose it for you.
your specs can easily handle triple A games at high-max settings without stuttering thats why i was wondering if its a GPU issue or something is wrong with how your PSU powers your GPU maybe it cant maintain a certain boost clock or clock speed due to power delivery problem.
(you can diagnose if my speculation is true with msi afterburner, try to play games and see if your speeds do decrease or if the card fails to hold a certain clock speed over time.)

but yea try to send it for repairs and see where you go from there i hope everything works out on your end since you have a pretty dank system.

Reactions: oliver.elgersma

oliver.elgersma

Honorable
Apr 18, 2018
if you have access to a reliable computer repair shop yes you can let them diagnose it for you.
your specs can easily handle triple A games at high-max settings without stuttering thats why i was wondering if its a GPU issue or something is wrong with how your PSU powers your GPU maybe it cant maintain a certain boost clock or clock speed due to power delivery problem.
(you can diagnose if my speculation is true with msi afterburner, try to play games and see if your speeds do decrease or if the card fails to hold a certain clock speed over time.)

but yea try to send it for repairs and see where you go from there i hope everything works out on your end since you have a pretty dank system.
appreciate the input man. Thanks!

Apr 23, 2020
appreciate the input man. Thanks!
Mate I have nearly the exact same setup and the exact same issue. I have following setup
  • i7 8700K (water cooled)
  • Gigabyte 1080 ti (water cooled)
  • 32 GB HyperX 3200 Mhz RAM
  • 250 Samsung Evo 6 Nvme
  • 1000W EVGA power supply
My CPU & GPU temps never go over 55 °C and I have tried many software adjustments such as DDU, reformatting my PC, disabling G-sync, game overlays, drivers stc. I have also swapped the following components:
  1. RAM (bough more of the same and tried 16 GB of NEW ram then installed all 32 GB)
  2. GPU (installed my mates GTX 1080
  3. SSD (bought a brand new SSD)
I am now going to try a power supply. I am just wondering if you managed to fix your issue? I am going crazy trying to find the issue

thank you