Question GPU Usage Slowly Drops While Gaming

May 3, 2024
Just recently, I've been having a problem where my GPU usage (and frames along with it) have slowly been dropping after I launch a game. I first experienced it on Forza Horizon 5, where I had around 70 frames on all max settings with my GPU usage at 90%+ when I first started playing, and after 10 minutes or so, I was down to 25ish frames and 30% usage on my GPU. This has since happened on other games, such as Rocket League, Gang Beasts, and Jedi Survivor. As the usage drops, the audio will start crackling badly. I suspect this is because games sometimes use the GPU to handle audio. I've ruled out thermal throttling, as I've used this PC for 3 years now with no issues like this and my temps never get that high when this issue is occurring. I've DDU'd my drivers and reinstalled, set the games to high priority, cleaned my PC, ran a Malwarebytes scan, and nothing has worked.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
RTX 3060 Ti
Asus Prime x-570p
16gb of Corsair 3600mhz DDR4

If anyone has had this same issue and has fixed it or thinks they may know the root of this problem, any help is welcome! If any more information is needed, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to provide it. Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Just recently, I've been having a problem where my GPU usage (and frames along with it) have slowly been dropping after I launch a game. I first experienced it on Forza Horizon 5, where I had around 70 frames on all max settings with my GPU usage at 90%+ when I first started playing, and after 10 minutes or so, I was down to 25ish frames and 30% usage on my GPU. This has since happened on other games, such as Rocket League, Gang Beasts, and Jedi Survivor. As the usage drops, the audio will start crackling badly. I suspect this is because games sometimes use the GPU to handle audio. I've ruled out thermal throttling, as I've used this PC for 3 years now with no issues like this and my temps never get that high when this issue is occurring. I've DDU'd my drivers and reinstalled, set the games to high priority, cleaned my PC, ran a Malwarebytes scan, and nothing has worked.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
RTX 3060 Ti
Asus Prime x-570p
16gb of Corsair 3600mhz DDR4

If anyone has had this same issue and has fixed it or thinks they may know the root of this problem, any help is welcome! If any more information is needed, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to provide it. Thanks!
Try taking the side off your PC and pointing a desk fan at your PC. Maybe you have a heat build-up problem. That could explain a decrease over time.