News GPU Virtualization on Nvidia's Mainstream GPUs Unlocked via Hack

scostigan

Prominent
Mar 10, 2021
I thought NVidia did this on the last driver release.

Game Ready Drivers provide the best possible gaming experience for all major new releases. Prior to a new title launching, our driver team is working up until the last minute to ensure every performance tweak and bug fix is included for the best gameplay on day-1.

Game Ready for Outriders
This new Game Ready Driver provides support for the launch of Outriders, which features NVIDIA DLSS technology. Additionally, this release also provides optimal day-1 support for:
  • DIRT 5’s new ray tracing update
  • The launch of Evil Genius 2: World Domination
  • The launch of the KINGDOM HEARTS Series on the Epic Games Store

Gaming Technology
  • Includes support for Resizable BAR across the GeForce RTX 30 Series of Desktop and Notebook GPUs
  • Includes beta support for virtualization on GeForce GPUs

tripleX

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
No, this is different. Nvidia opened up GPU pass through, which is not the same as vGPU. Currently, only one VM can use the GPU in passthrough mode. This mode (vGPU) makes it so that multiple VMs can share a single GPU.

Jun 26, 2023
Hi, I'm attempting to use this hack and I'm stucked on the last step where you have to build the Nvidia kernel.
I installed the last VGPU driver for linux KVM and the commands shows the following error:

sudo dkms install -m nvidia -v 525.105.14
Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area...
'make' -j16 NV_EXCLUDE_BUILD_MODULES='' KERNEL_UNAME=5.15.0-76-generic modules....(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.15.0-76-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/525.105.14/build/make.log for more information.
just in case someone has achieved this, I wonder if using an older driver would solve the problem...