Question GPU Wattage Drop In Particular Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2019
Hi, I've been playing GTA V for 3 years. I'm experiencing this issue for 3 years that I'm about to mention.
My problem is not happening in single game except for Rockstar's games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and GTA V.
Generally, I play these games at very good framerates, but for 15-20 seconds my GPU Voltage drops to 75-80W from 105-120W. And this situation causing huge fps drops for 15-20 seconds.
I thought this is about bottleneck or something, but if it is, why is this not happening in every other games? I think this is about Rockstar's games only.
GPU 65C,CPU 50C while playing. I have no heat issues at all
I tried every possible solution but there is no fix for this.

Specs:
GPU: RX 570 4GB
CPU:AMD FX 8320 4.3 Ghz (OC)
RAM:4X2 8GB
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43
PSU:600W

Ok well first of all welcome to the forums

Secondly Voltage and wattage are not the same If the voltage changed well the computer would be VERY unhappy. if the wattage changed then that would correspond with the GPU throttling down for some reason.

Lets start by asking how you are noticing this decrease in power draw and what tool you are using to monitor it.

Second lets take a look at other factors at play while you are in game.

1. What is your ram usage like? is it very high? does a large portion of the RAM seem to be in use by some hidden program? Are your Paged and Non Paged pool memory increasing rapidly?

2. What does your CPU utilization look like? Specifically look at each core not just total package.

3. What PSU are you using? please provide the model and manufacturer.

4. What year was the computer assembled and was any used hardware utilized?

5. Have you kept up with windows updates and have you updated your graphics drivers?

6. What does GPU utilization look like while in game? is it maxed out, below half?

7. Does the issue persist if the CPU overclock is removed?

8. What resolution are you playing at and at what graphics settings?

9. While in GTA V use the in game benchmark does the issue occur? and how much video memory does it say you need for your settings?

Nov 7, 2019
Ok well first of all welcome to the forums

Secondly Voltage and wattage are not the same If the voltage changed well the computer would be VERY unhappy. if the wattage changed then that would correspond with the GPU throttling down for some reason.

Lets start by asking how you are noticing this decrease in power draw and what tool you are using to monitor it.

Second lets take a look at other factors at play while you are in game.

1. What is your ram usage like? is it very high? does a large portion of the RAM seem to be in use by some hidden program? Are your Paged and Non Paged pool memory increasing rapidly?

2. What does your CPU utilization look like? Specifically look at each core not just total package.

3. What PSU are you using? please provide the model and manufacturer.

4. What year was the computer assembled and was any used hardware utilized?

5. Have you kept up with windows updates and have you updated your graphics drivers?

6. What does GPU utilization look like while in game? is it maxed out, below half?

7. Does the issue persist if the CPU overclock is removed?

8. What resolution are you playing at and at what graphics settings?

9. While in GTA V use the in game benchmark does the issue occur? and how much video memory does it say you need for your settings?
Firstly, sorry about my lack of knowledge.

1-) It uses 7 GB while I play. There is no hidden program that eats my RAM. And Paged or Non Paged is not increasing rapidly.

2-) Around %80-%85. And there is no wrong in my each core while this situation happens. The core's are around %70 and %90.

3-)ZALMAN ZM600-LE

4-)Around 2013 but my motherboard and CPU was changed 2-3 years ago. My GPU has been changed 5 months ago. (My old GPU was R7 265 but it was still happening.)

5-) Everything is up to date.

6-) It's always %100 in RDR 2. But in GTA V, when it drops to 60-70W, my gpu usage also downs to %10-%0. When same thing happens to RDR 2, it only drops to 60-70W but not the GPU usage.

7-) It happens no matter what.

🆒1080p and Very High settings.

9-) Yes it's happening in the benchmarks. I have 4GB Video Memory and it needs just 2400 of it.

Ok looking at this i'm seeing 2 strong possibles.

1. You are simply trying to push too high settings if you are seeing maxed utilization on the GPU it may stutter for a while catching up. This is pretty much expected so i would look at lowering some settigns particularly shadows and anti aliasing. The GPU is also possibly overheating i know you said temps are good but quite frankly i find it hard to believe it is staying at only 65C at 100% i would use HW monitor AND AMDs built in tools to check temps

2. You have a failing PSU. Zalman PSUs are not known for their longevity or saftey and under load it is possible it is having serious issues in demanding games.

Nov 7, 2019
Ok looking at this i'm seeing 2 strong possibles.

1. You are simply trying to push too high settings if you are seeing maxed utilization on the GPU it may stutter for a while catching up. This is pretty much expected so i would look at lowering some settigns particularly shadows and anti aliasing. The GPU is also possibly overheating i know you said temps are good but quite frankly i find it hard to believe it is staying at only 65C at 100% i would use HW monitor AND AMDs built in tools to check temps

2. You have a failing PSU. Zalman PSUs are not known for their longevity or saftey and under load it is possible it is having serious issues in demanding games.
When I play at the lowest settings I still get this issue. But when I lock my framerate to 30 it dissappears. Which causing me unnecessary FPS loss.
Also the thing that I don't get is, I play even more high requirement and unoptimized games than GTA V. But none of this issues happen. Maybe my motherboard controls the wattage that goes to my GPU. Is it possible?
And is there any way to test my PSU health?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.