Question GPU went from mid 50's temp to high 90's temp after hardware swap ?

Oct 13, 2023
I recently bought a friends build because he was moving out of the country, and my motherboard was faulty. Both builds have a custom PETG loop, and I took some of my stuff with me, including my GPU. It is quite old, some would even say antique, its a EVGA FTW3 1080 TI and I have had it for about 4-5 years always watercooled and slightly overclocked. It has always run perfectly and provided solid gameplay.

In my old build I had 1x 360 and 1x 240 slim rads, which maxed out at around 70 degrees celcius playing GPU games like Assasins creed and such, and low 40's in CS. I almost exclusively play counter strike, now that my job does not allow me a lot of time at my pc, so I would hate to buy a monster GPU. But then again, being able to play is how i relax during the weekend, so I need to be able to do that.

Since i switched components, my GPU is sitting at around 88-92 degrees IDLE right after boot. The new build only has 1x 360 radiator for a I7-9700K and my 1080TI. I don't think this is the issue though, as when my GPU is throttling at 97c in CS, my CPU's highest temp is mid 50's. I just don't get why it would go from acting normal to throttling like this in a new build. Any ideas? Should I just buy a new GPU since this is so old anyways?

You removed one radiator completely from the configuration which was giving you that much more cooling than what you previously had.

Do you know what area the 240 radiator was focused on? the CPU or the GPU? That may very well be your increase point.

What processor was in the old build that had both radiators?

why it would go from acting normal to throttling like this in a new build. Any ideas?
Should I just buy a new GPU since this is so old anyways?
include a diagram of how this loop is setup,
what fans are included and their orientation,
plus the system-wide cooling setup(case fans/vents, etc..).

if you're planning on buying a new card to include in this same setup make sure the cooling situation is working properly first or you may be stuck with the same issue(s).

Oct 13, 2023
You removed one radiator completely from the configuration which was giving you that much more cooling than what you previously had.

Do you know what area the 240 radiator was focused on? the CPU or the GPU? That may very well be your increase point.

What processor was in the old build that had both radiators?
Everything was/is in a singular loop, so I would say that if the single radiator could not sufficiently cool this configuration down, then should the CPU not also reach much higher temps? I previously used a I7-8700K which was delided and ran around 4.9 ghz. My current 9700K is not overclocked or delided and never exceeds high 50's. GPU is constantly in the 90's even in idle.

Whether or not the configuration can sufficiently cool is also reliant on how much load each individual component is being put under. The CPU could be under less stress than the GPU at any given time.

Oct 13, 2023
Its been like that for four years?

Well I know it may be hard to take it out and put it back in, but an adjustment + new thermal paste may be what it needs.

Other than that Im out of ideas.
I thought that too but I just don’t see how it could happen over night. And since it is so old I honestly can’t be bothered taking it a part to test it as a last resort - I rather just get a new card

Oct 13, 2023
I thought that too but I just don’t see how it could happen over night. And since it is so old I honestly can’t be bothered taking it a part to test it as a last resort - I rather just get a new card
It has worked perfectly for four years and the 4 hours it was out of my build laying on the table to be put into the new build it changed - I have not changed anything and it is not damaged at all

It has worked perfectly for four years and the 4 hours it was out of my build laying on the table to be put into the new build it changed - I have not changed anything and it is not damaged at all
Did you clean off all the old thermal paste when it was out of your build for that 4 hours. That's long enough for some of the paste to solidify depending on what you used originally.

Reactions: RodroX
Oct 13, 2023
Did you clean off all the old thermal paste when it was out of your build for that 4 hours. That's long enough for some of the paste to solidify depending on what you used originally.
No i did not and of course it should have been changed a couple years ago too, but again, no cooking issues what so ever. I used therm grizzly back then. - I don’t understand how removing the card from the pcie slot can make the thermal paste dry out - in my mind that doesn’t change the “tightness” or exposure the paste has to the outside, or am I completely wrong?

No i did not and of course it should have been changed a couple years ago too, but again, no cooking issues what so ever. I used therm grizzly back then. - I don’t understand how removing the card from the pcie slot can make the thermal paste dry out - in my mind that doesn’t change the “tightness” or exposure the paste has to the outside, or am I completely wrong?

It could be dry out, or cracked, or both, it could be the heatsink moved a little bit and is not making the right contact anymore.
Considering you don't know whats going on, we are suggesting ideas.
Could be that residue from the cooling liquid (you said it was working for 4 years, Did you ever did any maintainance to the liquid ?) got stuck in the wrong place.
If I was in your place, and still had the old factory heatsink for the GPU, I would put it right back in and check if that fix the issue.
There are lots of things to try, but it all depends on how much effort and time you want to spend on it.

Another thing to consider is if the rads have been in function that long and had no maintenance done, it would be the FIRST thing I would consider after finding cooling concerns. Yes, its a closed loop system but even those require routine maintenance from time to time, just like a car.

since you havent changed the thermal paste in over 4 years, by removing the card you could have twisted the waterblock on the card and cracked the thermal paste bond to the gpu.

I would recommend removing the card and re doing the thermal paste

Oct 13, 2023
It could be dry out, or cracked, or both, it could be the heatsink moved a little bit and is not making the right contact anymore.
Considering you don't know whats going on, we are suggesting ideas.
Could be that residue from the cooling liquid (you said it was working for 4 years, Did you ever did any maintainance to the liquid ?) got stuck in the wrong place.
If I was in your place, and still had the old factory heatsink for the GPU, I would put it right back in and check if that fix the issue.
There are lots of things to try, but it all depends on how much effort and time you want to spend on it.
I think I am going to test all of your ideas next weekend. It’s such a hassle with a custom loop when you have 0 free time… it takes a whole day to test it and then reassemble it. But thank you so much, I will try your ideas.

Oct 13, 2023
since you havent changed the thermal paste in over 4 years, by removing the card you could have twisted the waterblock on the card and cracked the thermal paste bond to the gpu.

I would recommend removing the card and re doing the thermal paste
Had no idea that was possible but it does seem logical given the cpu is normal

TRENDING THREADS