[SOLVED] GPU without it been bottle necked

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
i currently have a i5 9400f CPU but what do u think the best GPU i could get without it being bottlenecked?

Solution
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

What is your current graphics card?
Upgrading your gpu is guaranteed to do better, the question is, by how much.
What is your psu?
Is it strong enough to support a high powered graphics upgrade?

Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more...
less effective.

What is your psu?

Try this simple test:
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Now is not a good time to need a graphics card upgrade.
The best units are in high demand and scarcity and scalpers have driven prices to more than MSRP. If you can find a unit at all.

Solution

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
less effective.

What is your psu?

Try this simple test:
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Now is not a good time to need a graphics card upgrade.
The best units are in high demand and scarcity and scalpers have driven prices to more than MSRP. If you can find a unit at all.
I currently got a GTX 1660
and i can play most games with above 60 but i got 144hertz monitor and it be a waste if i cant make the most of it
and i got500Watt psu no idea what the make or anything else about it unless i take it out the case

I currently got a GTX 1660
and i can play most games with above 60 but i got 144hertz monitor and it be a waste if i cant make the most of it
and i got500Watt psu no idea what the make or anything else about it unless i take it out the case
I would upgrade the PSU and maybe get a used card from ebay. Something like a 1080Ti can be had for around £350. You can always drop your settings to medium too.

USAFRet

Titan
Well im not PC nerd innit so i just heard that bottle necking is when some CPU can hold back the GPU from working at its fullest potential or the other way around
That is mostly sort of correct.

However...swapping in a batter part than what you have does NOT result in worse performance.

People focus too much on the word "bottleneck", and not enough on "performance".

A better GPU will increase performance. Possibly not to the full extent of what it can do...but better than what it replaced.

Reactions: Altom_

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
That is mostly sort of correct.

However...swapping in a batter part than what you have does NOT result in worse performance.

People focus too much on the word "bottleneck", and not enough on "performance".

A better GPU will increase performance. Possibly not to the full extent of what it can do...but better than what it replaced.
yes but currently when I've been playing cold War my cpu will be using 100% usage all the time and I'm concerned if that will give me lag spikes if or make some games load slower like I'm currently thinking about the rtx 2060 super. they all sold out atm but when they come out should I get?

USAFRet

Titan
yes but currently when I've been playing cold War my cpu will be using 100% usage all the time and I'm concerned if that will give me lag spikes if or make some games load slower like I'm currently thinking about the rtx 2060 super. they all sold out atm but when they come out should I get?
The CPU will continue to provide the framerate it does.
A better GPU will give better eyecandy at that same framerate.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
yes but currently when I've been playing cold War my cpu will be using 100% usage all the time
And there in lies the issue. The cpu is responsible for fps. It decodes and processes the game code, places every object in X, Y and Z axis, assigns addresses, gives the gpu instructions as to color to use, where and when and does so 1 frame at a time. The amount of times the cpu can finish a frame and ship it to the gpu in a single second is your FPS limit. There is nothing a gpu can do to Increase that limit, only decrease it with graphical detail settings and resolution.

This is where ppl get the idea of a 'bottleneck' from, somehow figuring the cpu is 'holding back' a gpu. It isn't, it's just in that particular game the cpu is at max fps output and the gpu is capable of more.

A stronger gpu will only get you better 'eye candy' as USAFRet so perfectly described it. You'll get better motion, better colors, more details, but fps won't really change. It can't, the cpu is maxed out.

Your 6 core/6 thread cpu isn't enough to put out high framerates from such a cpu intensive game such as CoD.

What you can do is lower particular settings, such as viewing distance, grass detail etc as those are cpu bound, less objects for the cpu to deal with. They aren't graphical settings, but object settings. That makes less work the cpu has to do per frame, = more frames per second.

That's why ppl assume they get better fps by setting detail levels to low, what they are actually doing is including those cpu bound settings in the change, so the fps artificially looks like its increasing. But the gpu output still cannot go higher than what the cpu gives it.

Last edited:

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
And there in lies the issue. The cpu is responsible for fps. It decodes and processes the game code, places every object in X, Y and Z axis, assigns addresses, gives the gpu instructions as to color to use, where and when and does so 1 frame at a time. The amount of times the cpu can finish a frame and ship it to the gpu in a single second is your FPS limit. There is nothing a gpu can do to Increase that limit, only decrease it with graphical detail settings and resolution.

This is where ppl get the idea of a 'bottleneck' from, somehow figuring the cpu is 'holding back' a gpu. It isn't, it's just in that particular game the cpu is at max fps output and the gpu is capable of more.

A stronger gpu will only get you better 'eye candy' as USAFRet so perfectly described it. You'll get better motion, better colors, more details, but fps won't really change. It can't, the cpu is maxed out.

Your 6 core/6 thread cpu isn't enough to put out high framerates from such a cpu intensive game such as CoD.

What you can do is lower particular settings, such as viewing distance, grass detail etc as those are cpu bound, less objects for the cpu to deal with. They aren't graphical settings, but object settings. That makes less work the cpu has to do per frame, = more frames per second.

That's why ppl assume they get better fps by setting detail levels to low, what they are actually doing is including those cpu bound settings in the change, so the fps artificially looks like its increasing. But the gpu output still cannot go higher than what the cpu gives it.
Ahh okay alright then so would I be better off upgrading my cpu, I believe the best cpu for my motherboard would be the i9-9900k that is a 8 core 16 threads. Would that be the better idea?

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Ahh okay alright then so would I be better off upgrading my cpu, I believe the best cpu for my motherboard would be the i9-9900k that is a 8 core 16 threads. Would that be the better idea?
Don't hear this guy he is just making this harder for you, your CPU is really good for gaming and will be more than enough to handle a 3060TI and even a 3070, there are very few games that could benefit from 6 cores and believe me COD is not one of them, my old i5 8400 was easily handling that game, but if you do more than gaming like content creation or streaming, then you will have to upgrade to at least a 6 core 12 threads CPU

Altom_

Reputable
Dec 18, 2020
Don't hear this guy he is just making this harder for you, your CPU is really good for gaming and will be more than enough to handle a 3060TI and even a 3070, there are very few games that could benefit from 6 cores and believe me COD is not one of them, my old i5 8400 was easily handling that game, but if you do more than gaming like content creation or streaming, then you will have to upgrade to at least a 6 core 12 threads CPU
Haha alright thank you!
That made everything easier

Reactions: Fiorezy