[SOLVED] graphics card active but no signal to monitor (R9 280X)

tomass.davis

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018
I have a weird problem that I can’t seem to find a solution to.

I get 0 signal from my graphics card’s HDMI port to the monitor (can’t even see BIOS) even though it appears to be active.

I have tried multiple monitors and HDMI cables, reinstalled drivers (also used DDU), tried reseating the graphics card, double checked cables.

How do I know that the graphics card is active? I used Chrome Remote Desktop that allowed me to connect to my PC from my phone. I was able to access Radeon Settings where I saw that the GPU was showing a lot of activity. I was even able to play demanding PC games like RUST. So, the GPU is not dead.

View my imgur post for context (note that there are descriptions added to every photo):
View: https://imgur.com/a/lIhNYSu

When the graphics card is plugged in only get signal to the monitor when I switch to IGD in BIOS and use the motherboard’s HDMI port.

The problem was temporarily fixed after doing a clean reinstall of Windows but then it happened again after 1-2 days. Which is why I am leaning towards a software issue. Maybe some kind of driver conflict between PEG and IGD.

Last edited:
Solution
I found a way to fix this issue.

I enabled IGD Multi-Monitor support in BIOS so that the PC can use both PEG and IGD at the same time.

That resolved the driver conflict

tomass.davis

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018
I found a way to fix this issue.

I enabled IGD Multi-Monitor support in BIOS so that the PC can use both PEG and IGD at the same time.

That resolved the driver conflict

Solution