[SOLVED] Graphics card doesn't fit

jollyoldme

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
My old PC's graphics card (r9 270x) died so I replaced it with an r9 290. However, this did not fit the microATX case without removing a side panel due to the power cables not bending enough.

What could I do to make the card fit the case? Current plan so far is to use washers to raise the side panel and fill the gap between raised panel and case with some kind of mesh/an LED strip.

Solution
Just get a case that fits. Otherwise, you can simply run it without the side panel until you get one. There is no way on any case I know of to space it out using washers as practically every case out there retains the side panel with a sliding catch on one side and then wraps around the back of the case and fastens directly to the back with screws or thumbscrews. There's really no way to "raise the side panel" unless you have some kind of very unusual mounting style.

I think you'd be better off with no side panel than trying to do what you've suggested. Getting an inexpensive forty or fifty dollar case, if possible depending on whether this is a proprietary OEM design or not, would be even better.
Just get a case that fits. Otherwise, you can simply run it without the side panel until you get one. There is no way on any case I know of to space it out using washers as practically every case out there retains the side panel with a sliding catch on one side and then wraps around the back of the case and fastens directly to the back with screws or thumbscrews. There's really no way to "raise the side panel" unless you have some kind of very unusual mounting style.

I think you'd be better off with no side panel than trying to do what you've suggested. Getting an inexpensive forty or fifty dollar case, if possible depending on whether this is a proprietary OEM design or not, would be even better.

Solution