Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I have:

msi z77a-g41
intel xeon e-1225
coolmaster 700w
evga gtx 460
windows 8

the problem is the monitor has signal while the card is on lower resolution, and it randomly decided to jump to 1980x1080 resolution, and causing the disconnect with the monitor.

And I tried booting windows into safe mode and uninstalled the gtx 460 drivers using device manager. Did normal boot up, same things happening again.

I got this card from my cousin, he said he tried it once and it worked totally fine along with the PSU.

P.S. On the first time i booted up normally, I downloaded the newest BETA version of the driver and everything went wrong. Is it because of the driver that is causing it? Is my graphics card dead? I don't know if it still has the warranty...

Solution

So you have a non-operational PCI-E slot? The new slot your using is that 16x PCI-E or 4x PCI-E. If you don't know just tell me the motherboard and the slot your using to make sure. If it is x4 then you are underperforming the card's performance.
Must be driver if you just updated it and this just started happening, That said it might be the connection on the back of the monitor, yo might have to try different inputs on the monitor or try updating the firmware for the connection that might not be working properly. The driver must be causing this issue so try downgrading and using the one that you used before this problem occurred

michaeldp

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

How do I downgrade my drivers if I can't see anything? I tried booting into safe mode, but its just not allowing me to do so (shift+F8 spam). What else can i do? I still have my old card (forgot to say its an upgrade), should i plug that in and uninstall everything? With new card I could only go as far as the login screen, after load monitor disconnects and says no signal. I really want this card to work because it is a huge upgrade for me :/

I would use your old card just to see if it isn't a Graphics card problem since you did an upgrade. Yes I we will get this sorted as a huge upgrade to waste is never a good thing. Have you got any other monitors or cables? Try using a different input on the monitor or different output on the graphics card and both just to be sure it isn't faulty inputs/outputs. After that I will have an understanding of where the problem may lie.

michaeldp

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Old card works totally fine, I can even play games on it. Old card is Radeon HD 5450, I tried both dvi ports on the new card but no dice. I don't have a HDMI connector I could try, if I do I'll definitely try it. Still couldn't figure out why... I thought it would only be the PSU problem because I was using a Coolermater 500W until I went over to my cousin's and got his unused 700W. Still no dice...

However when I can boot it into safe mode, the device manager can detect the new card, and it works under lower resolution, that's how far I know at the moment. It's just that normal boot up will disconnect right after logging into windows

Updates:
I found out the issue! It is definitely the driver's problem, I uninstalled everything that are related to Nvidia and the card can finally login into the computer with display :) Now I just need to figure out which drivers will work with my card, because I saw it on the Nvidia forum that the card is kind of old. Any recommendation on the drivers?

michaeldp

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

So, I got it to work for a day, but the day after that it started up fine into the desktop screen. When I tried to open an application on the computer it loaded up, but the screen suddenly went black and the monitor disconnected. I'm not sure where lies, but it's most likely the driver.

So like any driver's recommendations? I am currently using 306.23 and it worked for a bit... Only for a day though. Any solutions?

I'd always stick to the latest drivers if you haven't already got them. Looking at your motherboard it is defiantly compatible so no problem there that might cause the monitor to disconnect. Sounds to me like you have a faulty graphics card, You might have to replace it as it will be the only way to get the card to work as you simply can't fix them.

michaeldp

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

I got it to work for a day, using oldest driver possible for Windows 8. And then after that day its gone again. Maybe its my bad hands wanting to upgrade everything to the newest and hoping it will work... Darn man... Darn.

michaeldp

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Well I did some researches, and I found that 400/500/600 series don't really support the latest drivers, because NVIDIA somehow can release some "incomplete" drivers and kill the card itself. People say not to install the 320 drivers or higher. So I have no idea what to do...

The driver you have installed is for windows 8 or 7? the graphics card supports the motherboard as I just checked. Have you tried the 320 drivers? I always like to have the latest driver as card graphics performance can be improved and all new micro-stutter problems and frame rates can all be improved. Like my 7990, suffered great from micro-stuttering but after installing the latest driver all problems I had were gone. That said how come you bought an old card like the GTX 460 and not something like a GTX 660/Ti? Price or availability?

michaeldp

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Yes I had try the latest driver, which is 332.82 I believe. Still no signal right after Windows 8 logo. My old card was Radeon HD 5450, which is pretty crappy for games for this gene. But it was cheap, that's why I bought it xD

I didn't buy the GTX 460, my cousin decided to give it to me because personally he has another one that worked just fine on his Windows 8. So I am guess it's rather the card's problem, or the driver's.

Thank you for the help. Appreciated it :)

michaeldp

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Wait! NEW STUFF

Its not just black screen, its just refuse to login into my desktop... NUM lock didn't turn on, tried to turn it on, nope. It is refusing to login I am guess atm

michaeldp

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

I FINALLY FOUND OUT THE SOLUTION...
I was dumb, I didn't know I have another slot for pcie... It is working perfectly fine now :) thank you for the help really, I appreciated it. :D

So you have a non-operational PCI-E slot? The new slot your using is that 16x PCI-E or 4x PCI-E. If you don't know just tell me the motherboard and the slot your using to make sure. If it is x4 then you are underperforming the card's performance.

Solution

michaeldp

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Sorry for the late reply, but no I don't have a non-operational PCI-E slot, its just that the GTX 460 doesn't support PCI-E 3.0. It will work flawlessly in the other PCI-E slot, which is PCI-E 2.0. Thanks for the help, really appreciated it.

GforgeXr

Honorable
Apr 19, 2016
It seems that I have the same problem as you had. Could you please explain in more detail what you did to get the graphics card working again? I have a Nvidia 9800 gt that keeps losing it´s signal after going in to 1080p.