[SOLVED] Graphics Card for 180w Power Supply

Aug 7, 2019
So, I know how to work computers, I just don't know any of the fancy names for anything. I have a home-built PC made from random parts, with 8GB of RAM and a 180 watt power supply. I need a video/graphics card for it, but I don't know what will be compatible with that small power supply. Heck, I don't even know how to tell if something's compatible. Does anyone have any suggestions for an at least semi-decent graphics card that will work with it? Because the PC was made from random parts, I don't know a whole lot about what's in it. If this is an impossible query, I'm sorry; I'll remove it. Please feel free to ask any clarifying questions, and I'll try to find out answers.

Solution
It's difficult.
You could argue a GT710 would probably be most suitable.
NVIDIA recommend 300W but it only pulls around 20W.

If you have a bad quality 180W, then you'll probably struggle. You'd be going against technical recommendation, but the GT710 really is low power.

Additionally, 180W PSUs aren't really made for dedicated GPUs. What do you want the GPU for? Or do you simply not have integrated graphics?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's difficult.

If you have a bad quality 180W, then you'll probably struggle. You'd be going against technical recommendation, but the GT710 really is low power.

Additionally, 180W PSUs aren't really made for dedicated GPUs. What do you want the GPU for? Or do you simply not have integrated graphics?

Solution
Aug 7, 2019
It's difficult.

I want the GPU to be able to play games. Nothing major (of course), just my oldies like Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Star Wars Battlefront 2, and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

Aug 7, 2019
Some people are able to use Gigabyte GT 1030 in a small 180 W Dell vostro desktop.

That is undoubtedly the best upgrade for your PC.

It will let you run a lot of games and stream videos up to 4K 60.
Wow! Thanks a lot for the suggestion! It seems like it would work great! $85 was a little more than I was expecting for a dud like a 180w PSU, but if it works well with it, what's the use in complaining?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wow! Thanks a lot for the suggestion! It seems like it would work great! $85 was a little more than I was expecting for a dud like a 180w PSU, but if it works well with it, what's the use in complaining?
The DDR5 version pulls 10W more than the DDR4 version for the GT1030. But it's minimal. Just remember you are still going over manufacturers stipulations, so it's just "play with caution".

180W PSUs are never really made to run dedicated GPUs, they can, but aren't really made for it. But the GT1030 is a fantastic value low end GPU.