Graphics card for dell optiplex gx270

G

looking for a graphics card for my comp heres the stats so to speak and wanna know what the best it would be able to cope with :)

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: OptiPlex GX270
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 356MB used, 1659MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
First- this link is comparable:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275893-33-dell-gx270-find-descent-range-graphics-card-please
You might browse around toms for a couple more.

2-- dont spend more than ~$60 on this computer. Its getting old and (like an old car)--has reached the point where sinking money into it can be counterproductive. The system is probably only worth $170 or so total.

3. Your ram is likely also a major sticking point. You want to consider bumping up to at least 1 gb--if you can find it used or very inexpensive.

4. Is your computer the slim one? If so you need to make certain that any card you purchase is labeled "low profile" --meaning it is a skinny card that will cost more.

5. So, finally, you should shop at www.newegg.com for graphic cards that are both AGP (your older slot type) and most likely Low profile.

I think the Nvidia Gforce 6200 would be a good choice for an older computer, and is available for $40.

randypinball

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Actually, I just bought DELL OPTIPLEX GX270 on ebay for 71 bucks shipping included. I just need it for internet, watching youtube, videos Ive downloaded etc , justin tv, streaming etc.. Not a gamer...... Im pretty sure it will be just fine for my needs, I may have to jump up to an additional 512 ram, Then Again maybe ill just put Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint on it, it'll sure be faster than this damn Dell Mini 9 that i'm temporarily using with an external mouse keyboard and monitor, the Pentium i assume will beat the crap out of a Atom Processor?

Any Thoughts.

Randy
LA Calif

randypinball

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Ok, so I received my Dell as stated in the above post from ebay etc. Once I got it, I realized it really DID need more ram so I added 512 more 1gb total. This computer is fast I love it, but yeah this video card or intel video is crap, full screen hq youtube is very choppy, and justin tv/ustream was choppy, even twit.tv leo laportes show in full screen was choppy, not BANDWIDTH choppy, video choppy. So I think I will order a low profile agp. Getting a new pc with additional core multiprocessors are a waste in my opinion,it is not necessary for the non gamer, the non video editor, a pentium 4 1gb ram 40 gb hdd is just fine for under a hundred bucks on ebay, people don't realize this .
Investment so far $71.77
Gonna get a Nvidia Gforce 6200
SO I may wind up spending no more than $120.00 for this quest for a cheap pc that works fast.

Not Bad huh?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Heh... should have talked to me 6 months ago. You could of had nearly the same system for the cost of shipping (GX270/1GB RAM/FX5200TV). As it turned out, a buddy of mine forced me to accept $25.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Though I will say, you are correct. Most non-gamers/developers/AV folks do not need more than a single core processor system.