Graphics card making a high pitched noise, ?

flyinfish2

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi,
I have recently built a system, i primarily use this for web surfing and the occasional run on battlefield 3. the system includes a AMD Phenom II X4 965 @3.5GHz with 1.32v; 4GB(2X2GB) Kingston HyperX 7-8-7-22-1T 1333MHz RAM; Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard; XFX 550W pro PSU; Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM HDD 7200.12. I also have a Gigabyte HD 6770 1GB Overclocked edition. This card is clocked at 900MHz core and 1200MHz memory. Recently i have been playing more video games on this PC, (I used to be on the Xbox 360) i have noticed a high pitched sound coming from the bottom of my case, near the graphics card. This happens everytime i load up a light game. For example, i started to play minecraft the other day, my card began to make a loud high pitched sound on the main menu. I loaded up fraps with it to show the FPS of the main menu, it was about 1600. This seems to happen when there are high FPS going on in a game. When i start playing, i get 200FPS, the card then stops making the noise. It is really annoying to hear it and it sounds like it may explode at any time. The PSU should be able to power it so no problems there, i also have Windows 7 64-bit with the latest catalyst drives, 12.1. I have looked for answers elsewhere but cant find anything wrong. It plays all the games i throw at it fine. I have read in a few places that it could be a hardware fault, maybe the VRMs ? It sometimes happens at extreme load, i have ran furmark with the card never going above 65C, it does make a noise, but is hardly audible.
Sorry for going on a bit but i put in as much detail as i can think of. The card was purchased at Dabs.com (im in the UK btw) in november but only been in use since christmas. I have contacted gigabyte and they have told me to contact dabs, they have told me to contact gigabyte. What do i do ? Anyone else had a similar problem ?
Thank you for reading it anyway.

Akhilcool

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
You should be using V-Sync when you game so that the FPS matches your monitor. Unless of course the refresh rate of your monitor is 200Hz...which most likely won't be the case.