[SOLVED] Graphics card making a weird sound

Chris093

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
This morning when I turned in the pc it was making like a deep rumbling sound, it got less intense when I restarted it but was still sounding very bad.

I checked if there was any loose wires, or tightened the screw, checked the fan but it looked fine, also held it to see if the card itself was rattling, and removed dust but nothing has worked

Some additional information, it's a 2080ti, had it since January 2019 I think. It happens no matter if it's under high load or low, high or low rpm. Also the temp seems fine, never go above 75 under full load.

I don't know alot about computers so I don't know what else to try or do to fix it.

Recording of the sound:
View: https://soundcloud.com/chris-eaf/gpu-fan-m4a/s-krjPxfUXpep?ref=clipboard&p=a&c=1

Last edited:
Solution
Certainly sounds like a fan or fan bearing. You can confirm it with MSI Afterburner, set the fan speed to zero and see if it goes away.

Otherwise, possibly coil whine, but it usually follows frequency/FPS output of the GPU. You can try changing your refresh rate and see if the noise changes, that would indicate coil whine.

Little you can do unless the coil in question is accessible without taking the card apart, but sometimes a little dollop of silicone/mastik can help reduce the vibrations.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Certainly sounds like a fan or fan bearing. You can confirm it with MSI Afterburner, set the fan speed to zero and see if it goes away.

Otherwise, possibly coil whine, but it usually follows frequency/FPS output of the GPU. You can try changing your refresh rate and see if the noise changes, that would indicate coil whine.

Little you can do unless the coil in question is accessible without taking the card apart, but sometimes a little dollop of silicone/mastik can help reduce the vibrations.

Reactions: Chris093
Solution

Chris093

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Tried reducing the fan speed to 0 and it stopped, so probably a bearing as you suggested, not sure how to fix it, or even if it needs to be fixed, I can live with the sound if it's not damaging

Thanks for the reply/help I really appreciate it

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The fan will eventually fail.

My suggestion would be reach out to the manufacturer to see if it is still covered under warranty. If not, I have had great success taking the exact name of the card and putting into ebay or amazon and add the words replacement fan. Generally someone selling fans that will work.

Reactions: Chris093

Chris093

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
The fan will eventually fail.

My suggestion would be reach out to the manufacturer to see if it is still covered under warranty. If not, I have had great success taking the exact name of the card and putting into ebay or amazon and add the words replacement fan. Generally someone selling fans that will work.
I will definitely take a look.

Thank you so much for the help, I appreciate it.